How Dangerous Can A Hammer Be?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
Another TRUE story! ::)

Today I noticed that the head on my 4 pound hammer was a little loose.
I bumped the wood handle on the concrete floor and the head went back to where it
should be. The wedge was raised a bit.
I went to a 19 year old kid who works across the room from me and asked if I could
borrow his hammer to drive the wedge in.

He handed me a pretty 3 pound hammer with a sharp looking yellow fiberglass handle
with a note of caution. He said: "Be careful with that. The head came off yesterday and
I "blue gooed" it back on."

In our shop "blue goo" is blue RTV silicon sealer.......
uglystupid2.gif

A young accident engineer perhaps?

Hope the lesson was learned, DO NOT EVER borrow his tools again.

tattoomike68 said:
I like to weld Knurled water pipe on as a handle.

You must be a millwright by trade... ;D (no offence to millwrights intended - many of my good friends are millwrights)

E

I was once doing some work for a friend and left some tools overnight. Upon picking them up I found the handle on one of my hammers mummiied in masking tape...i unwrapped it to find the handle split in half down it's length and glued together with wood glue.

I asked what they'd used it for apparently they needed to make a hole in the back of a TV stand to put another plug through!

Never lend any tools unless they are duff tools you wanted to replace anyway! :p

I had to use a hammer to break apart a lock that was frozen shut at work. I did not have any tools with me to cut it off at the remote location.
I was hitting a bar that I held against the lock. On the third or fourth wack the head flew off, hit the steel sheathed door and bounced up and hit me in the forehead hard. It raised a welt and broke the skin which bled a lot. :-[
Hammers can come back and bite you.
Fred

Lucky it hit you on the head ,Fred. :D

Hi seagar,
That's the truth! Anyware else and I might have gotten hurt! :big:
Fred

Latest posts

Back