Grandma's Pressure Cooker

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Grandmas pressure cooker—

When I was a kid, my family never considered itself poor. We always had some kind of clothes to wear, and we never went to bed hungry. My mother had 5 brothers and sisters, and consequently I had about three thousand cousins all close to my age. Every Sunday, we would all gather at Grandma and Grandpas little house for Sunday dinner.
Now as I said, we never considered ourselves poor, but that didn’t stop us from dragging the odd thing home from the local dump, after a garbage run, that looked like it might still have some life in it.
This was about 1952, and the real ‘Must Have” cooking item that year was a “pressure cooker”---Why, you could put the toughest, scrawniest, old rooster into a pressure cooker, and after about 4 hours at 250 PSI it would be tender as a young chicken.—Only thing was, nobody in our family could afford to buy one.
My uncle made a “dump run” one Saturday, and there in the dump was an almost new pressure cooker. (These wear a big heavy aluminum pot about 16” in diameter and 16” high with a heavy lid which ‘dogged down” into place with clamps big enough to use on the watertight bulkheads in a submarine). The only thing missing was some little valve thingy on the lid, that had broken off.
My uncle quickly grabbed the pot and the lid and dragged it home to grandma. Now my uncle was a very handy sort of fellow, so before he gave the pot to Grandma, he whittled a nice hickory plug and pounded it into the hole where that little valve thingy had broken off.
Now Grandma, who was even poorer than the rest of us, (grandpa was too old to do much real work by then, and the government pension wouldn’t buy much beyond a sack of potatoes and 2 plugs of Redman chewing tobacco)---she was ecstatic, to have an almost new “pressure cooker”.
Come Sunday morning she sent grandpa down to the chicken coupe with an axe to dispatch the toughest, oldest, meanest rooster and get him ready for the pot.
She plucked said rooster, and into the pot he went with some water and some salt and whatever else you use to cook a chicken (Hey, I’m an engineer darn it, not a cook!!!) and set it on the back of the woodstove to simmer all day.
About 3:00 in the afternoon all the various aunts and uncles and cousins rolled into Grandmas little house, and the aunts were all proudly shown the “New” pressure cooker. They admired it, and even aknowledged what a clever fellow my uncle was to whittle a good plug that didn’t leak any for that little part that had broken off the top of the lid.
Everybody was crowded into the little parlor, gossiping and yacking as familes at grandmas always do, and smelling the great smell of chicken cooking---by that time a bit of chicken laden steam was escaping around the edges of the lid.)
As the visiting went on, and the smell of cooking chicken and dumplings got even better, somebody looked out into the old summer kitchen and noticed that there seemed to be an awfull lot of steam coming out from around the edges of the lid on that pressure cooker, and that it (The pressure cooker) seemed to have taken on a life of its own, and was starting to jig around a bit on the top of the stove.
This was a bit alarming, so my uncle who had brought home the cooker was elected to go into the summer kitchen and shove the new cooker to the back of the stove, off the heat.
He made it as far as the archway going into the summer kitchen, when she BLEW!!! There was a deafening roar, the clang of a 16” aluminum lid ricoshetting around the kitchen, and a massive cloud of chicken laden steam swept out of the summer kitchen into the parlor.
Women were screaming, kids were bawling, and my uncle came flying out of the kitchen covered in hot water and chicken goo.
Everybody ran outside the little house, and when things calmed down a bit, and all the mothers done head counts of all the children, my poor uncle who was terrified (and only scalded a little bit) was sent back into the house to see what had happened.
Then we heard the laughter start from inside the house. We all looked at each other, thinking perhaps that the explosion had addled my uncles brains. He began shouting ‘Come in here---You gotta see this!!!”
So---We all filed cautiously back into the house, through the remnants of chicken flavoured steam,---and---There on the ceiling of the summer kitchen was our Sunday dinner!!!
SPLAT!!!----there was that poor old rooster, totally embossed into the ceiling, dumplings and all.
That “little thing” that had been broken off the lid was the SAFETY VALVE!!! When my uncle whittled the hardwood plug, he had unknowingly created a BOMB!!!
Needless to say, that is one Sunday dinner that I will always remember, even though it happened more than 50 years ago.---Brian

Brian:
1) 1 slightly used pressure cooker from dump Free for the taking.
2) 1 wooden plug also free.
3) A life lesson on pressure cookers a few Frayed nerves.
4) A great old family story PRICELESS !!!!!!
ROFLOL is an understatement . Great story brian if you decide to hang up the engineering shingle you could become a writter. A long post but worth every bit of it.
Tin

Yours is a much more impressive story but I remember reading a similar story just a few weeks ago.

It seems 50 years on pressure cookers are still making the kitchen exciting.

http://modelsteam.myfreeforum.org/about19787.html

Makes all my little toy steam engines seem almost boring by comparison. :big:

So, what did everyone eat for the Sunday meal? Rof} My Mother had one of those pots, it was a wedding gift I believe, and every once on a while she would cook something in it. It had a stud affixed to the lid that had a shallow taper on it and a through hole in the center. She had a round steel 'puck' that had three holes drilled on its periphery that was a sliding fir to that stud. It was placed upon that stud while the pot was in use and would fizz and bobble around on that stud as the steam pressure from inside the pot would lift it up off the stud slightly during the cooking process. Mother would open the lid once in a while to replenish the water or broth and the process would begin again. When we as kids did the dishes it was a cardinal rule to be followed explicitly that the steel puck be carefully cleaned and dried. We treated it like the most precious thing in the kitchen. It was the safety valve to the pot and I can still remember the sounds it used to make, also her electric percolator making coffee in the A.M. before we as kids got out of bed. Great memories!!! Thanks for the reminder Brian. :bow:

BC1
Jim

Tin----I have always been a great story teller, and people have been after me for many years to write them down. Now I have a publisher who wants me to write a compileation of all my stories so they can be published in a book. I'm not certain that will happen, but here's another you might enjoy---And yes, it was the same uncle!!!

Grandpa Lights the Woodstove
My grandfather use to use kerosene in a squirt can to get the fire started each morning in the old wood cookstove. -----One day my uncle borrowed the squirt can and put a little naptha in it to squirt down the sparkplug hole of an old gasoline lawnmower to get it started.
Grandpa came down for a look, seen HIS oilcan and grabbed it up and put it back on the shelf by the end of the woodstove.
---- Next morning I was laying in bed, heard grandpa get up and about, heard the old lids clanking on the wood cookstove as he crumpled up some paper and put it in, then some kindling wood, then I heard a couple of DOONK-DOONK noises as he pressed the base of the old squirt style style can to squirt what he THOUGHT was kerosene into the stove.
Then I heard the scratch of a sulphur match---then 'KABAAM!!!!"----"HOLY J&%$S ANNIE!!! (my Grandma)--THE DAMN STOVE BLEW UP---GET THE KIDS OUTA THE HOUSE!!!" Nobody was hurt, the house didn't catch fire, but my uncle was in deep disgrace for the next couple of weeks---Brian

Brilliant Brian ;D ................... you really ought to consider the book so these memories can live on, ............. put me down for a (signed) copy ;D

CC

Rof} Rof} Rof} Rof} Rof} Rof}

Thanks for the laugh Brian!!!

Brian. :bow:

I don't know if I should thank you or curse you. My sides hurt so darn much from laughing through the last half of that story. As a kid at home mother had one of those and used it without incident.

Great story Brian, put a bunch together and make a book. If nothing else you can use the profits to buy some new toys.

cheers

Don

Latest posts

Back