home made running center

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krv3000

Reaction score
HI all not posted for a wile i needed a better running center as the one that i got off the net is to big see pic i have seen Meany plan's of home made running centers so i decided to have a go and mack my own i needed a MT2 i piked up a broken drill from the boot sale for 20p this will be the start of the running center i cut the drill bit off as far up as possible the MT2 has seen beater days but after sum dti i got it fitting nice in to a MT3 to MT2 sleeve put its in to the lathe and with a dti got it all running up on center turned dawn the front to except the Peace of stainless steel that will become the Bering careyer for the center pics

HPIM1300.jpg

HPIM1303.jpg

HPIM1345.jpg

i then ruffed out the peace of stainless steel then silver soldered it to the MT2 shaft refitted back on the lathe and checked all was still on center i then center drilled then drilled m6 to a depth off 21mm then i Bord out to 17mm this is the OD of the bearings to a depth of 18mm i then removed from the lathe and from the front back 30mm on the center line i spot drilled then drilled to a depth of 15mm with a 2mm drill i then drilled to a depth of 8mm for a m4 thread this will be the locking pin hole and when completed will be cum the greasing point right pics

HPIM1307.jpg

HPIM1309.jpg

HPIM1314.jpg

HPIM1317.jpg

i then got sum silver steel and ruff out Wat will become the center point it self turned it dawn to 13mm then turned it dawn to 9mm by 15 long then turned it dawn to 5.5mm by 10mm long then i made up a Bering blank to support the center while i drilled threw the 2mm hole in to the 5.5mm step this will be for the looking pin i then got a m4 grub screw drilled the bottom and press fitted a 2mm pin i checked that all was well then i preset in the Bering's i then made the front locking collier witch is all so stainless steel i then fitted the center and with the looking pin in place the center was ready for the last bit i put my MT3 dead center in my lathe then set the Cross slide to the angel of the dead center put my center back in the lathe ans once again checked all was still on center then proceeded to turn the center point all dun more pics regards bob

HPIM1323.jpg

HPIM1325.jpg

HPIM1326.jpg

HPIM1330.jpg

i then made up a grease nipple and gave it a good greasing

HPIM1349.jpg

HPIM1339.jpg

HPIM1342.jpg

very nice.
did you quantify runout?

take care,
tom in MA (from anastasia's account)

HI well with the center locked off their is no run out with the center rotating their is sum but when under lode their is non I did not say in the post the type of bearings yous ed their where three thrust Bearings I got thes from nsk bearings ther factory is not that far a way from me I just whent in and tolde them the type of bearing I was after I was told to cum back in a week wich I did and got them for £2.96

Latest posts

Back