• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Hobbymat MD 65 any good?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jibaro

Reaction score
Hi-

64 year old newbie here.
Just bought a partially built Stuart 10V.

(My 10H is lonely!)

Turns out it needs more machining.

I'm on a limited budget. Saw this on Craigslist and it looks better than a new Chinese machine.

It comes with the milling attachment and priced at $500 FOB Montana. I would need to convince the seller to ship it, likely via Fastenal.

These things any good?

Is there something else I should be looking for?

Thanks

Hi,

I have the Hobbymat MD65 and the milling attachment.
Good enough for all I need (5" gauge steam locos).
One recommendation: separate the two.
I have found another base for the milling attachment and connected it to a spare cross table.
This saves a lot of converting to and fro when alternatively using the mill and the lathe.
Pay attention to the change wheels.
The Hobbymat is the yellow(-ish) twin of the Proxxon. Most parts are directly interchangeable.

Oopps sorry didn't mean to post that here.

Used to own one and it was an adequate little machine
It gets a bit tedious winding the saddle back as there no half nuts or at least my version didnt have
From memory I think the feeds screws are counter intuitive
You can still buy them new
I would buy another if the need came about
Be careful when adjusting saddle to bed fit Iv seen something or other about cracking the casting if its not done incorrectly

Latest posts

Back