HMEM account secuirty?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill

Reaction score
I got this email yesterday. I did not initiate this. The IP address isn't from my ISP's range. (I did not use the link that was provided.) Do I need to be concerned that my HMEM account has been compromised, or am I fine?

Thanks,
Bill

>Dear Bill,
>
>This mail was sent because the 'forgot password' function has been applied to your account. To set a new >password click the following link:
>
<< link to set a new password removed by me>>
>IP: 174.100.124.144
>
>Username: Bill
>
>Regards,
>The Home Model Engine Machinist Team.

Hi Bill

You did exactly the right thing; if you didn't initiate a 'forgot password' request, do not respond to it.

Do I need to be concerned that my HMEM account has been compromised, or am I fine?
You're fine; your account was not compromised, as is witnessed by the fact that you can still log in.

You have the fortune (or not as it may be!) to be the member registered with the unique user name "Bill" on the site. There are many "Bill"s on HMEM, and one of them could possibly have forgotten that in order to register he had to use a username such as "BillX" because you already had "Bill" as a username, and tried to get his own password reset but couldn't remember that his username was in fact "BillX". So when "BillX" tried to reset his password as "Bill", you received the reset link, as each login account is linked to the email account used when originally registering.

And kudos to you for removing the password reset link from your post!

If you get more of these messages, please DO report them to the site moderators/administrators - a personal message (preferably to more than one mod/admin) with similar detail to what you provided will do. It will help us to try and identify potential problems.

Kind regards, Arnold

Thank You! Big relief.

Choosing "Bill" for a user name for a group... What was I thinking? ::)

Thanks,
Bill

Latest posts

Back