Hi from UOP in stockton CA

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jor2daje

Reaction score
Hey guys Im a freshman at University of the Pacific in stockton california. Born and raised in Santa Barbara Ive always been a tinkerer making potato guns, go karts and all sorts of fun stuff. Being so young I have a pretty limited budget so I buy used tools and have to bodge quite a few things together. My current garage shop which Im away from right now :mad: has a shopsmith 10er for wood turning and sanding, el cheapo band saw and drill press, victor oxyacetylene outfit, and HF flux core welder for tacking. I had a beautiful old 9" southbend from 1927 that I restored but unfortunately it took up too much space so I was forced to trade for a sherline lathe and mill. Im not bashing the sherline because I love its compact size and precision, its just not the same as 100 year old cast iron.

the shopsmith (ways have since been polished)
CIMG0793.jpg

much missed southbend part way through restoration
35879_1424174417765_1634885647_994880_7456004_n.jpg

the sherlines mounted up on a board with lamp and boxes for tooling
DSC06432.jpg

everything is uncharacteristically clean for me, it never lasts.

Welcome to the forum!!! ;D

Do you have any pictures of the completed South Bend??
Looks like you did a fantastic job on it!!!

Have you had a look at the craftsmanship museum??
There is some awesome work there done on Sherline equipment!!!

Andrew

Hey andrew, sorry all the completed pictures are on a computer in santa barbara all I have is this picture of how it started. After the picture all I did was finish cleaning the apron, painted it, bought a new motor(didnt come with one) and mounted a power and reversing switch over those two holes in the leg that the PO had drilled.

Wasnt quite as bad as it looks, but the previous owner had made some hack power feed with v-belts and an atlas leadscrew that was more trouble than it was worth.
lathe-1-2.jpg

Welcome to the board good to see a young person interested in old mechanical things. My lathe is '37 south bend long bed floor model.
Tin

Latest posts

Back