Hi from England

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyline1

Reaction score
Hi All

My name is Mark and I'm from Gloucestershire England and New to the Forum I thought I would introduce myself with a couple of pictures of one of ny models

This is a freelance Model of a steam turbine generating set
It has a watertube boiler running at 50 P.S.I and fuelled by propane

The Turbine is a single stage DeLaval impulse turbine running in high speed ballraces at about 30,000 R.P.M. The rotor is fabricated from brass and the housing is aluminium cast in our own small foundry (as were the other castings for our models).

The generator is actually a D.C. motor of the type used in tape decks and V.C.Rs and the like. These use very powerful rare earth magnets and make great little generators. (Faraday strikes again!)

A recent addition is the Switchboard, not quite complete yet, It needs handwheels on the regulators and facias to simulate stud type rheostats (you can see the shafts for them on the right hand side) and some miniature working meters.

Whilst the switchboard looks period it actually uses modern electronics on P.C.Bs inside (homemade). The "frankenstein" style knife switches are real working ones though.

I have more pictures of this and our other models if if anyone is interested and possibly some drawings and P.C.B. layouts

Regards Mark
DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

Neat! Did you have to put the openings in the motor housing?

That's an incredible model Mark. The great thing about this hobby is being able to make something that actually functions on the same principles as its full size cousins. Nice work and welcome aboard. :)

Todd

Now that's very tidy, and I think my project list has grown a little further, lol.

Hi Brian

Yes the housing is fabricated from brass sheet and I was lucky enough to have some very fine brass gauze for the grilles so I didn't have to actually make that. Balancing turbine rotors is enough to drive you potty let alone weaving brass gauze.

I am glad you all like it, It is a little different I think and although not very efficient at this scale it does show that it will work "You cannae' beat the laws o' physics capt'n" as Mr Scott would have put it.

It does, however, produce a small but usable amount of power, (About 4 Watts) and coupled to a slightly larger generator the turbine could probably do more. It can drive the 16 LEDs it is coupled to with ease, with only about 25 Lbs "on the clock" At full power it should be able to drive 40 or 50 of them.

I have developed a complaint which my father has called "Turbinitus" It is highly contagious and totally incurable. I now have three of these little turbines and am going to build a fourth when I can get my little foundry back in commission.

When I do get around to it I may be able to offer some castings for anyone who would like to have a go at one. But be warned you risk going down with the dreaded "Turbinitus"

I recently had to strip one down to change the bearings, they do have a fairly short life at that sort of speed, so here are a few pics of the "works"

If anyone has need of it I have designed A little regulator board for connecting these little D.C. motors up to L.E.Ds so If you would like the circuit diagrams and P.C.B. layouts PM me and I'll send 'em

Regards Mark

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

Nice, Mark! Lovely work.

Chuck

Latest posts

Back