Hi from Arnold in Namibia

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnoldb

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm a complete HSM newbie from Windhoek in Namibia. Marv Klotz pointed me here after I contacted him about using some of the excellent applications he has written for engineers. Well, I came, I saw and got Conkered ;)

Other posts in the "Welcome" section reveals that everyone wants pictures, so attached a (dated) photo of my shop :)
And Noooo - I don't use the dart board! There was just a convenient nail to hang it on.

Regards

Arnold

IMG_0833.JPG

Arnold,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Arnold,

I'm glad you decided to join us. I'm sure you'll enjoy the time you spend here.

Dart boards are very handy shop accessories. Indispensable for making decisions. My personal preference for use is:

Should I buy that new tool I'm considering?
Yes - any numbered segment - if the double ring, buy two
No - any throw that misses the board entirely

They're also handy for deciding the number of holes to step off on the DH plate if one doesn't have a good dividing head program (inside joke).

We'll look forward to hearing from you often. Welcome aboard.

Welcome. I am glad you are here. Are you working on a project right now?

Frank

Welcome to HMEM Arnold.

Rick

Welcome Arnold. If you haven't already made one, have you decided on your first engine?

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

I have actually started on my first engine - it is a very simple 1 cylinder horizontal steam engine, and I am pretty much making it up as I am going along, based on material I can find. The cylinder is complete, and piston is nearly completed - I hope to finish that this weekend. Next up will be the crankshaft & valve. I'll post some pictures as I'm going along :)

Arnold

Neat little shop you have there. Looking forward to your build photos. I thought dart board were common in the shop. Mine has one LOL.
Tin

Hi Arnold and welcome. Great to see another Myford owner.

Peter.

Thanks Tin & Peter :) The shop is not always that "neat" - I'll post horror pics on that later...
The Myford is a year older than I am - my dad gave her to me when he retired and moved to South Africa. Transport costs for her would have been nearly the same as the price of a new lathe there & he wanted something bigger. I have nearly all original accessories for her except for a QC box - the clutch especially I love!. Dad's actually admitted he made a mistake :big: and I love the old girl; no CNC for her!

ya i notice the dart board is right over the lathe so that when you make some new darts you have a handy place to throw them.

WELCOME

Back