Quantcast

Hercus 9A Dc conversion

Help Support HMEM:

errolf2

Reaction score
I have recently refurbished my Hercus 9 lathe and converted it to DC MicroV drive.
I have used a 3 HP dc Motor and a KB Penta Drive Controller.
This setup works great, I had to fit an idler roller on the headstock to get the MicroV belt to the motor and machine the mid range pulley for the MicroV Belt
I now have speed range between 0 and 1750 RPM with the controller giving me excellent torque throughout the range.
I have mounted the controller on the front of the machine for easy control
Without the carriage gears the lathe is very quiet
Low Cost Venture
Controller $150 With reverse Switch
Motor 3HP DC Leeson Free from abandoned treadmill
MicroV Belt 640mm $40

Attachments

deeferdog

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I have used a treadmill motor on my milling machine conversion and am totally happy with the results. I owned a Hercus lathe in the eighties, sadly it went with the business when I sold up. It was a great machine. Love your setup. Cheers, Peter

dnalot

Project of the Month Winner !!!
HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Some time ago I converted my Atlas 10 inch to a DC treadmill motor. It has proven to be a great upgrade. Made the machine much quieter as well as more versatile. Nice job on your conversion.

Mark T

SmithDoor

Reaction score
Looks great
I did that on a South Bend Lathe and work great.
I used a V-Ribbeb belt had lots of power even at low speed.

Dave

I have recently refurbished my Hercus 9 lathe and converted it to DC MicroV drive.
This setup works great, I had to fit an idler roller on the headstock to get the MicroV belt to the motor and machine the mid range pulley for the MicroV Belt
I now have speed range between 0 and 1750 RPM with the controller giving me excellent torque throughout the range.
Low Cost Venture
MicroV Belt 640mm $40

ajholmz

Reaction score
Congratulations - l like your workshop set up. good use of space

Particularly like the crownie on the bench 👍

radial1951

Reaction score
Low Cost Venture
MicroV Belt 640mm $40
Good job on the Hercus. And the nice old Qualos behind. May I ask, what brand and colour paint did you use? Brush or spray? Is the DC controller new, if so from where? Looks like it may be a better way than 240v 3ph with VFD. I am doing a similar refurb myself...
Thanks and regards,
Ross.

Last edited:

errolf2

Reaction score
Good job on the Hercus. And the nice old Qualos behind. May I ask, what brand and colour paint did you use? Brush or spray? Is the DC controller new, if so from where? Looks like it may be a better way than 240v 3ph with VFD. I am doing a similar refurb myself...
Thanks and regards,
Ross.
Good Morning Ross ,
Thanks for your interest, the paint I used is Kill Rust Epoxy Woodland Grey. I used a combination of Spray and brush, I sprayed all the removable parts and brushed the bed so I wouldn't have to mask all the bed. I also added to the paint MS hardener just because I had it.

The controller is a KB electronics KBPC -240D
Input 115/230VAC-50-60Hz
Output 90/180 VDC
If you keep your eye on ebay you can pick one up locally
Try to get one with a reverse switch as this an option
A word of warning the default configuration is 110VAC so you need to change the internal jumpers to 230VAC.
I have used this same setup on my Qualos Junior for a few years and have had no trouble with overheating.

Thanks for your interest
Errol

radial1951

Reaction score
Good Morning Ross ,
Thanks for your interest, the paint I used is Kill Rust Epoxy Woodland Grey. I used a combination of Spray and brush, I sprayed all the removable parts and brushed the bed so I wouldn't have to mask all the bed. I also added to the paint MS hardener just because I had it.

The controller is a KB electronics KBPC -240D
Input 115/230VAC-50-60Hz
Output 90/180 VDC
If you keep your eye on ebay you can pick one up locally
Try to get one with a reverse switch as this an option
A word of warning the default configuration is 110VAC so you need to change the internal jumpers to 230VAC.
I have used this same setup on my Qualos Junior for a few years and have had no trouble with overheating.

Thanks for your interest
Errol
Thank you Errol, very useful info and a nice shade of grey. New controllers are on ebay... often see treadmills on the kerb during council cleanups!
Regards,
Ross.

Latest posts