Help identifying an engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nx06563

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was given a partially completed engine by a friend who collects antique teather cars. I would like to complete it if I could get a little more info and possibly a picture of one that is completed.

It is evidently a casting kit with a crankshaft installed with bronze bushing.
The head is not threaded or bolted in and the back cover is threaded into the crankcase.

HELP identify it!

Hogan

20171021_101948.jpg

20171021_101959.jpg

20171021_102010.jpg

20171021_102104.jpg

20171021_102141.jpg

This engine was designed in 1940 by Paul Lindberg. It is known as the "Lindberg Hornet C" and it is 0.604 ci. It was designed for home construction and never produced commercially. I believe plans were published in the magazine Popular Aviation. It is also believed that castings were offered in 1945/46 as a "Makurown" engine. The engine shown is slightly different from the published design, which has a strange sloping rear end to the crankcase.
This is of course a spark ignition engine.
I realise I am replying to an old post, but better late than never.
Ken in SWFrance

Last edited:
Lindberg C-1.jpg
Lindberg C-1 patterns.jpg
As further proof of identification here are a couple of pictures, all I have I am afraid.
Lindberg C-1.jpg Lindberg C-1 patterns.jpg

Hornet C two views.jpg
Just found a couple of pictures of a completed Lindberg Hornet C.
enjoy
Ken C

Last edited:
Thanks for the ino. It looks like the same critter. I will do a little research when I get home and will try to finish it.
I am away from my shop for the winter which will give me time to research

Thanks again
Hogan

I have the full set of drawings and the article from the magazine if you need them. Just ask.
Ken

I would love to have the drawings and article. Let me know what the costs are to send them and I will gladly pay to get them. This will make a great project when I get home. I have build about 8 model engines so far but have never built an airplane engine.
I got it from a tether car enthusiast an will see if I can make modifications so he can use it in a tether car.
Here is my contact information.

Thanks,
Hogan Liechty
1310 SE Michael Dr.
Ankeny, Iowa 50021
[email protected]

Latest posts

Back