Help identify indexable insert

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black85vette

Reaction score
When I bought my lathe the guy included a tool box that had a tool holder and one insert in it. I went out on some web sites and it became obvious to me that I know NOTHING about the designations and specs for these things. The insert is triangular and held in position with a slight negative rake. The sides are square and have no clearance angle giving it 6 usable points. It is about .8 inches on each side, .185 thick and has a hole in the center of it. The holder has a pin through that hold and the pin is .19 inch. Then a small clamp holds it in place on top.

The insert is well used and I would like to find a HSS and carbide insert to fit it, but I am clueless. ???

Any clues out there?

there is a ton of info out there .
The machinery handbook has a good section.
MSC catalog also has info.

For starters look here
http://www.arwarnerco.com/warner_products_inserts_chart.html
If you give these guys a call they should be willing to help. these folks are the only source I know of that carries HSS insert they also deal with some carbides. They deal with indusry but also the home shop guy . They are regular vendor at Cabin Fever.
These are top quality made in Latrobe PA ,USA tools
HSSMike is active here he may chime in on this.
tin

Well, Tin replied before I could. The MSC site should have some good info and pictorial guides too, but there are just so many variations!!!

I have a boring bar I got at Cabin Fever a couple of years back from A.R. Warner and I love it. I much prefer HSS to carbide for most things and hopefully they can help you out. Great people to deal with. By the time I made up my mind to buy the set they were sold out, but took my name and were prompt about calling me when they had stock again, and honored the "show special" price. No affiliation with them but I can certainly recommend them

Bill

One of the best charts that I know of showing what all the letters and numbers mean is the one at:
http://carbidedepot.com/formulas-insert-d.htm

Many manufactures have their own designations also, but these are mostly for inserts that are used for special purposes.

One thing not discussed is the IC or included circle used to describe the size of an insert. That is the largest circle that will fit inside the insert just touching the edges.

Gail in NM,USA

Thanks GailInNM Finally I had clear what size insert means!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:
Cheers Paolo

msc is offering some pretty deep discounts( 45%-50% off ) deals on inserts right now not sure of the details but you may want to check it out. See if it is anything that will help you.
Tin

Thanks to all!

I now know what an IC is and how to look up an insert. There might be hope yet. At least I don't feel clueless.

I have been able to cross reference the insert I have and thanks to you guys I have a couple of new places to order it.

:bow:

that chart was worth the price of admission !

Back