help/advice with the sieg sx2 benchmill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will continue this thread as i wanted to improve the existing handwheel to the X axis.I made an alum ring to press fit over the existing at 5" dia made and fitted a new handle and graduated the OD with my new 60 div plate as noted in the RT thread.Works well NOTE THE JACOBS CHUCK CLAMPED TO THE FEEDSCREW SO i can move the table SETUP for deviding the grads with my new 60 div plate

Hi Barry,
Just a few more questions about the Sieg gear if that's OK.
As I understand it you need to change the gears at the back if you want to change the longitudinal and cross powered feeds on the SC4 lathe. Is this much of a nuisance when you change from a coarse cut with a high feed rate to a fine finishing cut with a low feed rate? Or have you settled on a compromise speed for both?
I have read that the chuck cover interferes with the face plate and that people have either modified the cover or got rid of it. Have you struck this problem and if so what did you do about it?
By the way, if anyone is considering getting an SX2.7 mill there is an excellent series of videos about it here -
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz5NL3034hg[/ame]
I went to Machinery House yesterday because I thought I could see one of the Sieg lathes to get a feel for the quality but they don't handle them any more. They have switched to Optimum lathes and mills which look quite good and which have models equivalent to the Sieg range. This may have been a mistake - I'm supposed to be in the process of narrowing my choices, not expanding them.
I would really prefer an SC6 lathe as it is close in size to my Emco V10P but it doesn't have a powered cross feed which I find very useful.
Regards,
Alan C.

hi Kiwi,the power feed was set at fine when delivered.I changed 1 gear to double the feed and its ok no need for any further changes.A 127 t gear is supplied and with the extensive set of gears does a full range of metric and imperial.I removed the chuck guard as its more hinderance than use and dont miss it.Simply 2 screws if i want to refit it.The Sc6 is 150kg as apposed to 100kg for the sc4.Capacity wise not much difference.Maybe a longer bed but 500mm on the sc4 is adequate for my needs.The 4" chucks that come with the lathe fit directly on the 72mm spigot.The 3" chucks need an adaptor plate down to 55mm.I bought a 5" 4jaw self cetering chuck and adaptor plt and use it a lot
Regards barry

Latest posts

Back