Hello from Oregon

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keys

Reaction score

I've been sniffing around this board for a couple weeks while looking for help on my gamma Stirling engine. My Sitrling fired up for the first time two weeks ago and it was running great, but within an hour of run time I noticed the power piston/cyl was showing pretty significant signs of wear. After searching for piston cylinder ideas on the web I found this forum.

I can't believe the talent and home shop setups I have seen on here. I figured I should set up my own account so that I may ask questions from time to time and possibly share my own work.

I hope to have video of my running engine soon. I'm currently finishing the new graphite piston and cleaning up all of my tooling marks. After a failed first engine that took months I didn't want to begin making any parts pretty until I knew it would run.

Dustin

Hey Keys
Welcome. Is your Stirling a model of anything or a Stirling? Well you know what I mean!

Pics Pics pics we want Pics

I don't know if this is good or bad advice, I haven't had any wear on my Stirling's (always some wear). I am using Lockease a graphite based oil. It's meant for locks if you didn't figure that out already :big:

Again Welcome
Tony

Cobra
The Lockease thing is interesting. Everything I've read says use no lube on a stirling anywhere except the crank pin. I've got a Bohm engine that specifically states that no lube at all should be used. Apparently the prohibition doubles for the low temp variety. What effect, good or bad has it had on your performance? I'm asking from blatant ignorance rather than any attempt to express an opinion on the subject.

Steve

Welcome to HMEM Dustin.

Rick

cobra428 said:
Hey Keys
Welcome. Is your Stirling a model of anything or a Stirling? Well you know what I mean!

Pics Pics pics we want Pics

I don't know if this is good or bad advice, I haven't had any wear on my Stirling's (always some wear). I am using Lockease a graphite based oil. It's meant for locks if you didn't figure that out already :big:

Again Welcome
Tony

It's not a model of anything in particular. It's a Stirling of my own design which follows the 1.5:1 displacer to power swept volume. I got my graphite piston working very well tonight as was so stoked I decided to post a short video on you tube. It should have been running about 6 hours ago but I trashed my displacer accidentally trying face a couple hundredths off the end of it. I took to heavy a cut and the tool dug in and ripped it right out of the chuck. I'll have to post a picture of that mess later. :mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aXBl7YT32M&feature=player_profilepage#

Dustin,

Looks like you got all your problems solved :) Very nice looking engine and a great video of it running too. Welcome and thanks for sharing it.

Bill

Welcome to the forum Dustin.
Very nice engine! I'm looking forward to seeing more projects.

Dustin,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Nice Keys,
It runs great!

Cedge
I have many oil cups on this to which I just put a drop of oil to and a drop around the cyl wall (piston has a couple of oil grooves in it) a a drop to the disp push rod that rides through the piston. See for yourself how it runs. I've had no adverse effect to the eng either inside or out

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=4979.0

Tony

Latest posts

Back