Hello from Northern Ireland

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spuddevans

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've been a avid lurker on the forum for the last 6 months or so, and I have to say that I have learnt so much from all of your posts and questions/projects and general info presented here.

The reason I havent posted before is that, although I have just recently got both a Sieg X2 and a Sieg C2 lathe and mill, they are still in the wooden cases that they were delivered in as I havent got my workshop sorted out yet. Hopefully in a few weeks I will have it sorted and can build a workbench or 2 to mount the lathe and mini mill on and have some working space too.

I have very little in the way of tooling or accessories for the machines yet, but I will be getting (and then building) some soon.

I just wanted to introduce myself and also to thank everyone for all the great advice and experiance that I have already tapped into, and to say that this has got to be one of, if not THE friendliest forum on the great interweb.

Tim

Welcome Tim, they are a great bunch here. Did your lathe and milling machine come from a supplier who has prepared them for you or have they come factory finished? If the later then Bogs (John) is a man you would do well to contact.

Mike

Metal Mickey said:
Welcome Tim, they are a great bunch here. Did your lathe and milling machine come from a supplier who has prepared them for you or have they come factory finished? If the later then Bogs (John) is a man you would do well to contact.

Mike
They have come from axminster and they are just factory finished. I plan on getting very well aquainted with them and thoroughly cleaning/de-greasing, taking them to bits and putting back together (hopefully ;D ;D ) before using them in anger.

Tim

A big welcome Tim,

I am sure you will get all the help you want if you require it on here.

John

Welcome and a howdy do,
this place is a great place ;D :bow:

Hi Tim,
I think the ''Sieg'' is a somewhat similar machine as the ''Chester Conquest'' mill...if it is I would suggest lifting off the motor and securing the screw holding the drive gear from the motor with ''Loctite''...also take it very easy on intermittent cutting ''Flycutting'' as the plastic driven gear is basically a safety shear point...check out the engagement of the shaft key with the plastic gear.
All the best for now, and happy machining.
John.

Welcome to the club. Got both of those machines myself.

Eric

Thanks everyone for the welcome, as I've seen from lurking, this place has some really "dead on" people, and is a very friendly place.

kellswaterri said:
Hi Tim,
I think the ''Sieg'' is a somewhat similar machine as the ''Chester Conquest'' mill...if it is I would suggest lifting off the motor and securing the screw holding the drive gear from the motor with ''Loctite''...also take it very easy on intermittent cutting ''Flycutting'' as the plastic driven gear is basically a safety shear point...check out the engagement of the shaft key with the plastic gear.
All the best for now, and happy machining.
John.
Hi John, thanks for the tip, I've seen the belt conversion kits that are available and was thinking (probably foolishly) that it would be an idea to have a go at building my own belt drive conversion for the mill. Even if I couldn't turn the pulleys myself, I could just buy a couple of pulleys and a belt locally and then machine up the rest. ( he says confidently having never yet machined anything metal beyond drilling a hole :D :D :D )

Tim

Careful Tim.... This place is addictive!!! ;D

How can you stand it.... Still in the boxes!! I'd have them out on the living room floor!! :big:

Keep us up to date,

Ralph.

Divided He ad said:
How can you stand it.... Still in the boxes!! I'd have them out on the living room floor!! :big:
:big: :big: That's exactly what I did before I got mat workshop sorted.

Anyway welcome Tim, once you have come over to the dark side there is no escape

Divided He ad said:

What's worse, I heard that the price of steel was rising so I bought the mill 2 months ago !!!! I dare not open them in the living room though, it'd not be worth it. :D :D

Then a month or so ago I got an offer of 10% off any one item from axminster, and that including the free delivery made me get the lathe.

Oh well, I'm hoping to clear out the shed this week that is going to be my workshop, then I just have to build me a bench and then I can unpack the 2 crates.

Tim

Latest posts

Back