Hello from Michigan, USA

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Farr

Reaction score
Long time lurker, new member from West Bloomfield, Michigan, USA. I bought my first klunker lathe just a few years ago, but I've been interested in steam and I.C. engines for a long time. I finally purchased a set of Bentley BR2 plans at NAMES this year and promptly removed .002 too much from the crank bearing journal so I'm having fun making another one.

I'm lucky to have a local metalworking club nearby. The other members keep me from hurting myself, but the atmosphere feeds my tool addiction. Four lathes, three shapers, two mills (not all running) and a bunch of swarf in the shop but no running engines yet to show for it. I'm working on that ...

That's me in a nutshell. Thanks for the great site.

Bob

Welcome to the forum Bob.
No doubt the engines will come.
Pics! Show us pics!

zeeprogrammer said:
*** Pics! Show us pics!

Ok, here's my undersized Bentley crank. Pretty, but junk:

Crankshaft11.jpg

Here's its replacement being roughed in on my Hendey 12-inch shaper. I'll be more careful when it's back in the lathe this time:

CrankshaftV21.jpg

Bob

Bob, (in a nutshell),

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Another Bob

Welcome Bob,

There are a few of us Michigan folks around here. (Redford)

Welcome, Bob.
Dennis

First of all bob welcome.
second of all.

The other members keep me from hurting myself,
Crankshaft11.jpg
Please no sneakers while working in the shop. Wear boots preferably steel toe. this is for fun dropping a metal object on an unprotected toe is not fun .
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
Please no sneakers while working in the shop. Wear boots preferably steel toe. this is for fun dropping a metal object on an unprotected toe is not fun .

Hm...hadn't thought about that. I wear loafers or sneakers. But then I work with small parts. If I were carrying more than a couple of pounds...I might have second thoughts. Although I'm especially careful when moving the vise or mini-lathe chuck.

I worry more about loose clothing. I'd worry about long hair too if I had any. :big:

Is there such a thing as steel-toed loafers? That'd be perfect. Then I could easily change shoes before trapsing swarf into the kitchen. :big:

Is there such a thing as steel-toed loafers?

Z: yep
Here

they also make steel toed sneakers and I have seen ladies wearing steel toed leather pumps although apparently hard to come by these days.
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
and I have seen ladies wearing steel toed leather pumps
Tin

Oh jeezly Tin, you've done it now... somebody will be getting a pair of those to go with their Tutu..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Joe

PS Sorry about the little detour, Welcome to you Bob! You'll learn about Zee soon enough....

Tin Falcon said:
*** Please no sneakers while working in the shop. Wear boots preferably steel toe. *** Tin

Busted by my own photo! Point well made and humbly taken. I have a pair of comfortable steel toe boots too (but no tutu), so I can't even make any excuses.

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody.

Bob

Wow. I was half-joking but those loafers look pretty good.
Only brown though.
I'll have to check out the sneakers and see what goes with the tutu.

joe d said:
PS Sorry about the little detour, Welcome to you Bob!

Same here.

joe d said:
You'll learn about Zee soon enough....

::)

Bob sorry to set the thread up for a hijack > safety is important your responce
should have been I was just wearing the sneakers to take the photo I wear steel toes while working.
Again welcome

Z: the brown ones were the first hit on a google search. I am sure there are others out there.
Tin

Bob Farr said:
Busted by my own photo! Point well made and humbly taken. I have a pair of comfortable steel toe boots too (but no tutu).

Welcome Bob, no tutu required for membership (thank goodness!!)

Bill

Latest posts

Back