Hello from an aspiring engineer!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CogMachine

Reaction score
Hello again!

So, for a little introduction, I am actually not here for models per se (I don't care how those rusty old machines looked, I want to build my own creations!), I am here for the technology as I am a steam-and-machine-enthusiast in the purest sense. I love simple machines from the da vinci and industrial revolution era and today we are living in age where you as a simple man can build all of this yourself in a small scale without needing to rely on huge machines that custom-fit parts!

I intend to build all kinds of those (and eventually even invent new ones!) in a fit-for basement version, but I need/want to build something that powers those first, so that is why I came here as this is THE place of people who know the most about steam machines! Exactly what I need.

So that's me, the cog machine

You're going to need a flux capacitor

With enough time, anything can be built ;)

But seriously, there are so many things which are not invented because they got jumped over by the oil/electricity boom, but technology today makes all of this cheap enough! Plus, big electricity today is powered mainly by nasty oil and rare metals (including solar panels!), so this is the new alternative, going a little bit less efficient, but more flexible.

For example, have you ever heard of compact and portable a steam-powered mixer? No? I just invented it, so let's roll!

CogMachine, I like your fresh approach!
I'm thinking of remaking the idea of a very, very – very - fast machine, powered by bad news. The fastest traveling thing known to man.
Seriously. the improbability drive can be a very artistically looking machine. As an opposite to Davinci.

Rudy

CogMachine, I like your fresh approach!
I'm thinking of remaking the idea of a very, very – very - fast machine, powered by bad news. The fastest traveling thing known to man.
Seriously. the improbability drive can be a very artistically looking machine. As an opposite to Davinci.

Rudy

Well, useless machines for artsy purposes can be nice too in some cases, I agree. I though prefer artsy machines that at least have some use, like that weird mixer ;)

I assume you would like to be a mechanical engineer. That's a much different occupation these days compared to 50 years ago when I worked in the engineering departments of around 20 different companies. Today only two of these companies are still in business. You need to be prepared to learn new things and go where the work is. American manufacturing is not what it once was. However, my current profession, dentistry, is full of mechanical innovations as is medicine as a whole. Learn how to combine computers with mechanical machines. Think Space X as an example.

As a start you need to become proficient in 3D modeling. Fusion 360 is available for free to students. There are other programs available as well. With a program like this you can design things, check to see if they work, do some stress analysis, and even get your ideas built from sources on the internet. Look around this forum for examples of designs modeled with these programs. The internet is full of serious engineering. Learn to use search engines.

Lohring Miller

I assume you would like to be a mechanical engineer. That's a much different occupation these days compared to 50 years ago when I worked in the engineering departments of around 20 different companies. Today only two of these companies are still in business. You need to be prepared to learn new things and go where the work is. American manufacturing is not what it once was. However, my current profession, dentistry, is full of mechanical innovations as is medicine as a whole. Learn how to combine computers with mechanical machines. Think Space X as an example.

As a start you need to become proficient in 3D modeling. Fusion 360 is available for free to students. There are other programs available as well. With a program like this you can design things, check to see if they work, do some stress analysis, and even get your ideas built from sources on the internet. Look around this forum for examples of designs modeled with these programs. The internet is full of serious engineering. Learn to use search engines.

Lohring Miller

No no, despite my little bit over-the top writing style here I am actually a software developer with a job and won't leave that soon. Mechanical machines are just a hobby of mine, maybe it stems from my job being all the same and appearing "heartless" in comparison to the older ones. Machine is machine after all, so it is not so far off I like to think, my job is technically the mechanical engineering of today. In the end it just boils down to me wanting to create simpler machines you can see more of in my spare time than I do at work. (Also self-sufficiency, steam engines and the machines of their times were still very flexible in their production, you could source most of the materials from your area)

Also, I am from central europe, not america, so while there are stil some companies here that are not yet completely outsourced to china (Voith, I think Siemens also has a mechanical engineering branch, etc), but yeah, it is very likely that soon nothing is around anymore.

Though, you are right in the sense that I still have learning to use the Autodesk suite in front of me.

My hobby these days is racing model boats. That can involve a lot of engineering. I've been involved in internal combustion engine design and testing, electrical power plant design, and design of wings in ground effect. One of my German friends, an engineer, just set the record for fastest model boat of 285 km/hr. High power tether steam boats are going 130 mph. Applying Arduino or similar control systems to these engines means they could be throttled for radio control operation.

My favorite IC engine, the two stroke, can be mechanically very simple with only a crankcase, crankshaft, connecting rod, piston, and cylinder as the main components. I built one in high school 60 years ago. The details are very sophisticated, however if you want real power. Today there are low cost simulation programs to refine the tuning of flows through the engine. Combine this with 3D modeling and you are a long way toward a decent design without a lot of the cut and try testing needed in the past.

Pick an area of interest and apply your expertise to it. Do searches and find out what others are doing. The link between modern mechanical systems and computers is just being explored, especially at the hobby level.

Lohring Miller

Latest posts

Back