Has anyone used this kit ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc1955

Gone
Reaction score
I'm thinking of ordering the small oxide kit and was wondering if anyone here has tried it.
Where I work they use a hot black oxide just wondering if this kit works as well.
Black oxide kit.

I have this kit. It works just fine on mild steel. Not as good on harder stuff like tool steel or other harder varieties. Most of what I work with (steel wise) is 1018 CRS. Works well for that.

This is very important. Your parts must be 100% clean and then even cleaner or the plating won't take.

Doc:
Looks like a good deal. I have done only a little with blackening and blueing.
We had a smaller kit of cold black at a place i worked that worked well.
Do i think that stuff is a good as a hot process probly not but could be wrong.
I do think it would work well for a home shop less fuss muss toxicity etc.
Tin

doc1955 said:
I'm thinking of ordering the small oxide kit and was wondering if anyone here has tried it.
Where I work they use a hot black oxide just wondering if this kit works as well.
Black oxide kit.

I haven't used that particular kit, but I use Tool Black offered by Enco. Both are probably comparable chemicals systems. It works well.

For d-greasing I use lacquer thinner, and protect the finished surface by warming it a bit with a propane torch and apply non-detergent 30W oil.

Item 825-8154 page 847.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=847&PMITEM=825-8154

-MB

Cleaning is not as bad as I made it sound...

;)

I place my finished parts in the tumbler to deburr them for about an hour. They come out with a nice satin-like finish. I then scrub them with a soapy Brillo pad. Rinse, inspect, clean again if necessary then place in the bucket to blacken. The Caswell kit includes a lacquer based sealant that also has an oily finish to it.

Here is a photo of some parts made from 1018CRS I blackened with the Caswell kit

blackpost1.jpg

Twmaster; thanks for the post. Always nice to have a first hand report on a product. Looks like something I could use and the price is not too high.

Vette... Yes I too like to see real examples. So hard to buy some thing on the say-so of a vendor sometimes.

Thanks for the info and posting the pictures. I may have to give it a try.

Thanks!

Back