Hall effect ignition systems

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parksy

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hi all

For my current v4 project id like to employ Hall effect ignition. As it has two camshafts, I'd like to have two sensors running off each camshaft to run two spark plugs. This would mean I'd have a wasted spark. The main reason for this is so I don't have to run a distributor. Does this sound feasable?

On my previous engine I purchased a sealed Hall effect ignition system used in RC aircraft. I don't wish to use this (as it only suits single cylinder engines and has automatic advance which I don't want) and would rather purchase/build my own system. Is there a build able kit available or how does everyone go about this?

Thanks all for reading and I appreciate your feedback.

Andy

Hi Parksy,
If you want to treat the engine as 2 separate 2 cylinder engines that would be fine but you would only need one sensor and 2 magnets. It would still create a waste spark but that won't be an issue.
gbritnell

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice.

The TIM6 kit looks like what I'm after. Will one of these units coupled up with a coil run two spark plugs at once? (One will be firing while the other is a waste spark)

Thanks John! That is perfect.

Cheers!

You can get a kit from jaycar for cars but it needs 12v , cheap twin coils come out of v6 commodores and single coils from old victa mowers - you need the old points type coil .

Thanks all for the suggestions. I have it organised and will utilise two mic-1A units and two twin spark coils from minimagneto.co.uk.

Back