Gus's Rupnow Hit and Miss Engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry . Gus accidently delete your message.
You are right about the inlet spring being too strong.Put any old spring for now.Will put in the same spring I used for Webster.

Been a productive day in terms of good work. Rocker Arm and support done and aligned. Rocker Arm profiled as per Brian's drawing.Push Rod sub-assembly done too with the dimple at Rocker Arm done spot on.
Will put in push bar retract spring same as yours.

The timing gears and cams will be next. All these take time and no rush. Will report half gear tooth if it ever happen.

See foto.

IMG_2288.jpg

Gus, you have a sharp eye, I didn't mention that extra spring that I put on the push arm. The arm was not returning fully sometimes, maybe I was a bit too close on the fit, so the exhaust valve was not closing fully. Maybe I could have put a stronger spring on the exhaust valve stem, but decided to go the way I did. I also drilled a couple of oil holes on top of the push arm retainer.

I finished soldering my fuel tank today, just have to make a cap with a breather and some brackets to mount it.

Paul.

Spent time to study Japan "KG Gears Cataloque and yet made plenty of mistakes. Got the pitch diameter mixed with O.D. So One gear blank gone. Did cut two gears with half tooth. Been a bad day.Perhaps my gear cutting is out of practice. Just discovered for 20 teeth ,it must be no 3 cutter and not no. 4. Another goof.

Fishing mate recovered from Prostrate Cancer and called Gus to go fishing. Though it is neap tide which means fish will bite poorly or no bites at all. its weekend fishing. No gear cutting.

IMG_2289.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

Last edited:
Gus, did you loctite the gear on the shaft for cutting? Never thought of that, it would save a lot of material not having to allow for holding.

Paul.

Gus--I had to google and see what the heck a "neap tide" was.--Its the time of the month when there is the least difference between high and low tides.---- supposedly happens twice a month. I live about 1200 miles from the ocean, and I do know about tides, but a "neap tide" was a new one on me.---Brian

Gus, did you loctite the gear on the shaft for cutting? Never thought of that, it would save a lot of material not having to allow for holding.

Paul.

No not yet. The gear was a bad gear with 1/2 tooth.Will cut a new gear blank
and mill next week.Meanwhile plannng murder that is how to cut a good gear.

Gus--I had to google and see what the heck a "neap tide" was.--Its the time of the month when there is the least difference between high and low tides.---- supposedly happens twice a month. I live about 1200 miles from the ocean, and I do know about tides, but a "neap tide" was a new one on me.---Brian

Hi Brian,
Life is exciting.New things to learn and hear .

Never too old to learn.

About to go fishing.

Went fishing but was a bad day with Neap Tide and very weak tidal current and so n bite.
Fishing trip did miracles to my brains.
Cut new brass pinion blank. 9mm dril kept on being grabbed in no matter how slow I feed drill.Regrind rake to 90 degrees. Grabbing no more. See foto.
Gear cutting. Moved gear cutter to front for best visual checks.
Checked the Poor Man's Dividing Head.Corrected whatever goofs made yesterday. Replace gear cutter to no 3 good for 21-----25 tooth.
Within 1 1/2 hours from machining gear blank to cutting all 20 teeth. Cut a whisker too deep and gear tooth is a wee bitty sharp.

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

IMG_2301.jpg

Adjusting the depth of cut can be a tricky business. I generally get everything set up, then turn the gear cutter until the largest diameter (the end of a tooth) is pointed towards the gear blank. Then I turn the table in until it will just hold a cigarette paper between the tip of the cutter tooth and the blank. I set that as my "zero" and then move in the stated depth of cut from there.---Brian

Adjusting the depth of cut can be a tricky business. I generally get everything set up, then turn the gear cutter until the largest diameter (the end of a tooth) is pointed towards the gear blank. Then I turn the table in until it will just hold a cigarette paper between the tip of the cutter tooth and the blank. I set that as my "zero" and then move in the stated depth of cut from there.---Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the expert advice. Will cut one or two more pinion gear for cutting
practice to perfection.

The cheapy China Mini Three Jaw Chuck is not very concentric but I found a way to counter it.

Looks like next week will see or get near to completion.

Going to Sunday Mass now and then off fishing.

Hi Gus

Gear cutting is a tricky business at the best of times I've cut the odd one or two, It's nerve racking ! best palliative is head for the boat and see if you can "grab one or two" even on a neep.

Living fairly close to the River Severn and the Bristol Channel I have some, limited, experience of tides,

The Severn Bore coming thundering up the river is quite a sight (And sound).

It's a seasonal tidal wave caused by the geography of the Bristol channel and the river,
not usually dangerous but we have had the odd car pulled in (parked too close at Stonebench the local viewing spot) no casualties though, apart from angry insurance companies.

Surfers love it !

Keep at the H & M it's coming together great. I thought you and Brian would be formidable.

I THINK I WAS RIGHT

Regards from Near the Bore

Mark

Edit

There have been a few casualties of the "bore", serious ones , caused by people not respecting the power of nature, please take care out there Gus.

If you get lots of wet stuff coming over the bow, time to start "pointing the blunt end at it " and head inshore, towards the workshop.

(teaching granny to suck eggs with naval stuff, you have more sea time than me Sir))

Regards Mark

Last edited:
Hi Gus

Gear cutting is a tricky business at the best of times I've cut the odd one or two, It's nerve racking ! best palliative is head for the boat and see if you can "grab one or two" even on a neep.

Living fairly close to the River Severn and the Bristol Channel I have some, limited, experience of tides,

The Severn Bore coming thundering up the river is quite a sight (And sound).

It's a seasonal tidal wave caused by the geography of the Bristol channel and the river,
not usually dangerous but we have had the odd car pulled in (parked too close at Stonebench the local viewing spot) no casualties though, apart from angry insurance companies.

Surfers love it !

Keep at the H & M it's coming together great. I thought you and Brian would be formidable.

I THINK I WAS RIGHT

Regards from Near the Bore

Mark

Hi Mark,

Been told about the Severn Tidal Phenomenon. The JianTang River in Jiangsu Province,China is about have the annual huge in flow. The local police had to condone some folks getting too near the bunds. Just turn their eyes away and some folks will be on the bund and swept away to drown. Gus is suppose to view the tidal inrush in China Sept 19.Cannot make it. Will do it next year.

My mate hooked up a one pounder Sweet Lips Fish for our dinner. Consolation for a bad day's fishing.;)

Edit

There have been a few casualties of the "bore", serious ones , caused by people not respecting the power of nature, please take care out there Gus.

If you get lots of wet stuff coming over the bow, time to start "pointing the blunt end at it " and head inshore, towards the workshop.

(teaching granny to suck eggs with naval stuff, you have more sea time than me Sir))

Regards Mark

Hi Mark,

The very first time I co-piloted my 31 footer thru 2---3 metre wave,it was nerve wrecking. Fortunately I had a very seasoned partner.
The next trip I followed his boat thru 2 metre wave but was not so nerve wrecking.
Another fishing trip in West Malaysia, was hit by 3 Sumatras that came 10 minutes after a very chilling wind and dark curtain faraway.My fishing guide
was a also a very seasoned helmsman.
There are times of regret.How nice it would be watching the TV at home and raiding the fridge.:hDe::hDe:
Here in the Straits of Singapore. Very calm seas .Very safe.:cool:

Looking for a bit of divine intervention by going to mass before fishing Gus?

Paul.

Married to a very devout R.C. Staff Nurse and living next to Church is hazardous. However Gus and William was blessed with a one pounder
Sweet Lips Fish served as Hongkong Steam. The Good Lord have provided on a bad day.:hDe:
See fish and chop stick for size. Very tender.

Pardon the giant plate but the fish was not that small.:hDe:
Gus cheated a wee bit and ordered a 1 1/2 kg Mud Crab to feed 4 pax.

IMG_2302.jpg

IMG_2263.jpg

Last edited:
Been very hard working. Practicing gear cutting. After three bad gears/goofs,managed to turn out a good pinion gear
and at last a very good looking,just right cam gear. See the line up. The good, the bad and the ugly pinion and the mandrel to mount gear blank for gear cutting. Good pinion and camgear. Divider plate is a "KG,Japan" 40 tooth gear.
To hit jackpot depth ,it is best to cut a root diameter.Hitting this outer diameter means the gear height is achieved.
Using the table slide and dial to hit tooth depth is dicey.
The next job would be cutting the cam profile using the DIY Rotary Table.Another nightmarish challenge.
Good likelyhood of completion this weekend.

IMG_2304.jpg

IMG_2305.jpg

Latest posts

Back