Gus's Rupnow Hit and Miss Engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going well Gus, I hate machining cast iron, the dust gets everywhere. If its humid where you are, that probably makes it worse.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

The next Flwheel will brass. C.I. is messy. Had to put on an old shirt to keep
dust away from my body. Prior to that the bath room had iron rust stains despite flushing. Wifey Boss did ask. But this time its down to bare minimum.

The lead screw just discovered was not jammed up. I forgot that I locked up the slide to mimimise chatter.

Today will see crankpin done and hopefully the shafts too or at least a test
shaft plug to figure our interference fit. Did reamed the f/wheel but I.D.
measurement with Digital Caliper dicey.

Looks like a cool day today.

Sorry about the lathe Gus, I machined cast iron for the first time last week, very messy, flywheels are looking good Gus, I will be in Singapore this weekend Gus, meeting my boat at Loyang, if I have time would you like to meet for coffee?

Dave

Hi Dave,
Will be at Ponggol Marina fishing with friends.You are invited to join us for
sea food dinner. If the fish co-operate with have Hongkong Steamed Fish and Fried Rice. If not then will be Samba Prawns with the remainding live shrimp bait.Retired life been good for Gus.
Will PM Dave with my hp no.

See you.

P.S. Have done my on-shore time in Balikpapan,Lawe Lawe and Rantau in the 1970s.Two weeks on,in the jungle can be tough if you have not enough books to read.The container camps were very comfortable and the food was 5 star
grade. The ice cream world best. The steaks were good if you don't mind the
chefs' mistakes. Ha Ha.

Hi Brian & Eddie,

Just discovered I locked up the slide table. I did accidentally triggered off the slide feed and spindle came to a halt but
f/wheel not damaged.
Will machine the shafts and crankpin today.
Thanks for the support.
Brian, Must pay you a visit and talk engines. My wife has a very good friend in Toronto. Will make $$$$ first .

Best Regards,

Gus.

Hi Gus

You and Brian Rupnow will be a formidable team

messy stuff Cast Iron

The boss will not approve but keep at it !

Regards from England

Mark

P.S. been as hot as you just lately here, been sweating me whotsits off !

Hi Gus

Thanks for the invite, job has been delayed again, not leaving Thailand now until next week, will let you know when I'm in Singapore.

Dave

Hi Gus

You and Brian Rupnow will be a formidable team

messy stuff Cast Iron

The boss will not approve but keep at it !

Regards from England

Mark

P.S. been as hot as you just lately here, been sweating me whotsits off !

Hi Mark,
Been raining on and off. Quite cool and comfortable especially in the balcony
machine shop. Humidity quite good.
Basis Thursday,Friday and Saturday-------no rain,the fish will bite like crazy. They don't like their seawater mixed with rain water.

Been a disastrous day -----goofed. But some how got the job done. Messed up the crank pin. Flywheel has extra hole and to redrill and ream. Three goofs today. Bought a 3/8 Taylor & Jones machine reamer which I really have no need for.

Take care.

Pair of Flywheels,aligned with 9 mm reamer and mating face loctited to prevent movement/slippage to pilot drill and reamed crankpin hole. I goofed with the first attempt with pilot 7.9 mm drill.Flywheel now have two holes. :hDe: And two crankpin.:wall:
Crankpin/spacers sub-assembly done. Mock assembly showed no TDC collision but con-rod collided with cylinder.Will trim off a wee bitty.
Next on the mental list is the stub shafts and shrink fitting. Will machine test plugs to confirm reamed hole diameter. This may take whole day tomorrow.
Next week will be "valve week". Hopefully will make the "Carb".
Still have the timing gears and cam to cut. Been fun and challenging.

IMG_2267.jpg

IMG_2268.jpg

Last edited:
Gus--I thought yesterday that your con rod was a bit wide at the big end, but I figured that if I didn't day anything you would find that out----and you did. Even if made exactly to the drawing, its a very close issue. What do you use to remove all the blue dye from your work? --There is a special "Layout dye Remover" available, but I find that automotive laquer thinner is very effective and relatively inexpensive.--And what happened to the radius on the inside corners of the cylinder head?---Brian

Looking good Gus, I had no idea just how time consuming machining is, there is no rushing with this, can't wait to hear it run.

Dave

Looking good Gus, I had no idea just how time consuming machining is, there is no rushing with this, can't wait to hear it run.

Dave

Dave--You have touched on something that amazes us all sooner or later.
I had no idea just how time consuming machining is. I worked as a machine designer for over 40 years, and I could never understand how machinists could take such an incredible amount of time to make even the simplest parts which I had designed.---Then 6 years ago I bought a lathe and a mill and started machining parts for model engines.---Six months after I had bought them, I was ready to apologize to every machinist I had ever met, for thinking they took too long to make parts out in the machine shop!!!----Brian Rupnow

Last edited:
Dave--You have touched on something that amazes us all sooner or later.
I had no idea just how time consuming machining is. I worked as a machine designer for over 40 years, and I could never understand how machinists could take such an incredible amount of time to make even the simplest parts which I had designed.---Then 6 years ago I bought a lathe and a mill and started machining parts for model engines.---Six months after I had bought them, I was ready to apologize to every machinist I had ever met, for thinking they took too long to make parts out in the machine shop!!!----Brian Rupnow

Every designer should have to do time on machines to get an idea of how to do things. This would make them think twice when they are designing items so they can actually be machined.

Paul.

OK. Collision between con-rod and cylinder mouth rectified. Gus goofed. He got smart .
Did not follow drawing dimension on con-rod body width.:hDe::wall:
All major headaches gone. The remainding items will be a pleasure to make.
Valve guides,valve,timing gears/cam,ignition cam,push rod etc will be time consuming but fun to make.:cool:
Here comes the fishy weekend. Been pouring .Not to hopeful.

IMG_2270.jpg

You make a great progress Gus. Keep going on & have a succesfull Fishing week-end.
Barry

.--And what happened to the radius on the inside corners of the cylinder head?---Brian

I think that Gus is just putting his own take on it, I noticed that he hasn't put in as many fins as shown on the drawing either.

Gus, it's all coming together fast now, you must be putting a lot of hours into it.

Paul.

Reactions: gus
I think that Gus is just putting his own take on it, I noticed that he hasn't put in as many fins as shown on the drawing either.

Gus, it's all coming together fast now, you must be putting a lot of hours into it.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Just a bad habit of mine. Likes to finish his task quick/fast and good.
The fins did not go too deep.Bearing in mind not much heat generated as it is a lazy hit and miss engine. No chance of overheating.:fan::fan:

Will take my sweet time cutting the smaller parts. Bit worried about the valves and guides. Scratching my head on the rocker arm mount. Will cut as per print.

9.30 pm now. Thinking of a great fishing day tomorrow and again on Sunday.

Gus--I thought yesterday that your con rod was a bit wide at the big end, but I figured that if I didn't day anything you would find that out----and you did. Even if made exactly to the drawing, its a very close issue. What do you use to remove all the blue dye from your work? --There is a special "Layout dye Remover" available, but I find that automotive laquer thinner is very effective and relatively inexpensive.--And what happened to the radius on the inside corners of the cylinder head?---Brian

Hi Brian,

I goofed on the con-rod width. Same now ungoofed. End cylinder 60 degrees Bevel done. Piston & rod now runs smoothly when cranked.
Waiting for the Viton Rings to arrive.
The dye will be removed later with a Carb Cleaning Solvent proven to be effective. I still have a few holes to mark/punch and drilled on both side plates. The remnant pieces will be fun to cut. For now plan to use the "Jurassic" Igniton System to get engine runnng w/o "hittin & missin".Get the Hit&Miss done will be another feather in the cap. The very first "Hit& Miss"
engine made in Singapore. Been talking to my local meisters and none ever heard or seen such engines.

About 8am now and about to go weekend fishing.Will be big cat fish mostly
buy very powerful fighters on rod&line.
Bye for now.

Gus--Take a look over on my original post of this engine build. I have posted a modification to the cylinder head which will help the engine run better.

Reactions: gus

Latest posts

Back