Gus's Rupnow Hit and Miss Engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You make a great progress Gus. Keep going on & have a succesfull Fishing week-end.
Barry

Hi Barry,

Wasn't that bad but we landed two rod benders. My mate caught all these two.
Was a bad day turned good.

Just wondering what will it be tomorrow Sunday.

Gus;

Don't forget the pictures from the catch.

Barry

Gus;

Don't forget the pictures from the catch.

Barry

Hi Barry.

Been raining heavily and some parts of Singapore had flash floods when went away in 30----45mins.This is bad news as rain water ends up in the Straits of Singapore. Managed to anchor pin point on a structure. Two of us(Gus & Mate)
each brough a kilo plus Snapper kept live in live bait tank and was Hongkong Steam Dinner for Saturday nite. Sunday was better we had a variety.

Been working too hard on the "Hit & Miss". Week end fishing was a cure all
for burnt-outs.

IMG_2273.jpg

Hi Gus

That's a beauty, I can almost smell that cooking from here.

England has returned to it's usual colour, grey and chucking it down (didn't think it would last)

The gardens could use a little rain though (and the water companies).

Regards Mark

So that's where all the bloody fish have gone ...

Jim

Hi Jim,

You are right.Into Gus's wok HongKong Steam Fish. Yummy.
Been giving away when I have fish to spare to neighbours. They did asked Gus.From which market the fish came from,it is so fresh/sweet and tasty.
The name of the game is that I keep them in the live tank till we dock boat and straight away into deep freeze.

Machining the 3mm valve stem was very nailing biting. :rant:
Just discovered Sliver Steel cuts easier than Grade % bolts and gives a good finishing.Sanding with 400 grit Emery Paper gave very smooth finish.
Valve guides,valves and retainers are very time consuming.Spent 2 mornings and one afternoon to complete and fit.:wall:
Did lap one valve only but hand spinning flywheel gives some feeling of compression and vacuum resistance. Viton Piston Rings has yet to arrive to prove compression was good.
Valve clips came from TokyuHands.

Now trying very hard to figure out how to mill the inclined forks of the Rocker Arm Mount.
Tips welcomed before Gus re-invent the wheel all over again.

IMG_2279.jpg

IMG_2280.jpg

Gus,
Your engine is looking good. Soon, I'll be making valves and guides so I'm watching your progress closely.

That's a nice Red Snapper - one of my favorite fish for the grill.

Cheers,
Phil

Great fish & again a great work Gus. But why do you not buy silversteel in 3 mm?? I do this anytime. The other piece you ream with 3mm & it fits great.

Barry

Gus--You sly devil!!! You made that cylinder head out of 3 separate pieces, didn't you. I've been wondering why you didn't have a radius on the two inside corners, like the drawing calls for. Now I see what you have done, and that explains why there is no radius. ---a very good example of "Using the material you have on hand".---Brian

Reactions: gus
Gus--You sly devil!!! You made that cylinder head out of 3 separate pieces, didn't you. I've been wondering why you didn't have a radius on the two inside corners, like the drawing calls for. Now I see what you have done, and that explains why there is no radius. ---a very good example of "Using the material you have on hand".---Brian

Hi Brian,

Buying bar stocks can be difficult. Having a very small machineshop with mini lathe and mill made it tough.Balcony space killed desire to put in bigger machine tools or more machine tools.So had to to use devilish ideas. Call it make do best with what you have.
Just figured out how to follow your drawings exactly to cut the Rocker Arm Support. I promise it will be to print.

Your Hit & Miss is very challenging for this "70" young Gus.Could have given up if not for your kind/expert support.Here in Singapore there is no other HMEM member to tutor me.
Now that Obama is about to scrap his Syria War, will see market go up and make some $$$ for Gus to support this hobby.

Bye Take care.

Last edited:
Great fish & again a great work Gus. But why do you not buy silversteel in 3 mm?? I do this anytime. The other piece you ream with 3mm & it fits great.

Barry

Hi Barry,

Did have some bad experience with Silver Steel from Australia.
Bought some while on holiday in Hongkong.
First valve made with Grade 5 was no so smooth despite sharp tool and cutting oil. Second valve with HK Silver Steel was good.

Skies turned sunny and blue.Hopefully good weather this weekend to go for
SeaBass.

Here in Belgium I can not find materials. I have order it all the times in Holland & that is Always high quality.
Yes , there is sometimes a difference in quality.
The shop in Holland , they buy it in the UK.

Barry

Reactions: gus
Hi Barry,

After looking for a supplier I found a few in Belgium. Even our hobby club sells the materials in small quantities.

Send me a PM message if you need the addresses.

Greetings,

Chris

Now that I am 100% retired,I still have difficulty not taking engineering problems to bed to look for best solution. Spent a sleepless nite thinking of how to secure Rocker Arm Support to mill the inclined slot.

Marked blank. By 12 noon still did not come up with the simpless Jig Fixture.
After a coffee break at the fishing tackle shop ,a bright idea came.The simpless K.I.S.S. Fixture.
Rocker Arm Support set and milling was like a breeze.Support is made of Aluminium since scrap bin has no Mild Steel Bar. Job done. Will work on Rocker Arm tomorrow.Will use brass.

IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2283.jpg

IMG_2284.jpg

IMG_2285.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful work Gus. Doesn't it feel great when you come up with a solution for those tricky set-ups!!!---Brian

Hi Brian,

Most of the time, we come up with complicated jigs when K.I.S.S. will do.
It is so easy to make a simple job complicated.

There is saying, cross the bridges when you come to them. Could never imagine coming up with so simple a milling fixture.---------Eureka.:cool:

W/o same fixture, it would be difficult using the milling vice alone. Most likely the Rocker Arm Blank would end up in the scrap bin.:wall::D

With the tough parts done and over. The rest would be fun to mop up.

Thanks for the kind support.

Nice job ... Gus :)

Now that you have solved the how to ... I will just follow your lead!;)

Thanks for posting and your H&M is coming along nicely.

Pat H

Hi Gus, it's all moving along well. I was just looking at the last picture in post 95 and think that the inlet valve spring may be too strong, you will know more when it's ready to run.

Paul.

Latest posts

Back