Greetings from Ontario Canada

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveG

Reaction score
Hi all, great site! Scratching my head trying to figure out why I never found this site before but hey I'm here now ;D

So as the story goes I've been interested in, and wrenched on, IC engines for most of my life but have never built one even though over the last 10 or more years I have collected many books, plans and drawings for such. I have a decent little basement machine shop so now that I'm retired I figure maybe I should finally get to building one. My machine tools collection includes a Sieg 7x12 lathe and X2 mill, a 1942 Logan 10x24 (no back gearing or threading), 10" drill press, 9" bandsaw, belt/disc sander, 6" bench grinder and a couple scroll saws. I've owned the Sieg lathe and X2 mill for just about a year now and I acquired these after selling off the Sherline lathe and mill that I had owned since about 1996. The Sherline machines were great little machine tools and they served me well for the parts and things I wanted to make relating to my RC hobbies but alas I got bored with RC and discovered that they were too small to make or modify parts for the other things I was interested in which recently includes bicycles, some with motors attached too. On the topic of bicycles fitted with a motor this is how I stumbled upon this website. I was searching for information on rotary valve 4 cycle engines as I would like to build a small vintage looking Aspin type rotary valve 4 cycle that I can install on a 1960's bicycle frame I dragged home from the salvage yard not so long ago.

Cheers...

Welcome to HMEM Steve.

Rick

Steve
Welcome, you'll love this site. One of the engines I'd planned to build is the Aspin but so far all I have is one cross-sectional drawing :big:. Keep us posted on your projects.
Garry
(ex Oshawa, Waterloo, Ottawa, Kingston, Mississauga, midland yadda yadda ....

Thank you all for the warm welcome, I've been logged in for a few hours absorbing info and looking at the work of others. I must say there is some very impressive stuff being built by the members here :)

gmac...

Are you speaking of the aspin valve engine that was a construction series in Strictly IC magazine in early 1993? I have those issues and that build series is kind of what inspired me to think about an aspin valve engine for my purpose. I had thought about scaling up the design featured in Strictly IC but I need something more compact and looking more like a single cylinder engine that would have been used in a cycle of the 1910-20's era. The Hedstrom single pictured is the look I'm after and my plan is to work on a 1/3 or so scale prototype and then build the final version off of that. I figure a smaller prototype will be easier to work with and cheaper too should the design not work out as planned and end up on a shelf looking pretty.

hedstromsingle.jpg

Welcome to the forum Steve.
I'm looking for to seeing your work.

Greetings Steve.

Where about in Ontario are you located?

cheers, Graham in Ottawa Canada

Welcome SteveG
I am a converted RC'er also. Still play with the planes and helo's a bit. Some day the "bug" will hit again.

Tony

Steve;
I wasn't aware of the SIC build series - off I go on another drawing hunt....(what was your impression of the articles/drawings?)

The info I have is from the book "Air-Cooled Automotive Engines" by Julius Mackerle a former Chief Designer for Tatra, published in 1972. What might fit your objectives is the Cross rotary Engine ( based on what appears in this book anyway - there seem to be variations). PM me if you wish.

These sites may interest you;

http://www.isdm.co.uk/aspin/AspinEssay/essay.htm

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/POWER/unusualICeng/rotaryvalveIC/rotaryvalveIC.htm#crs

http://ralphwatson.scienceontheweb.net/rotary.html

Cheers
Garry

Steve,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back