Great book for beginners of all levels

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Falcon

Reaction score
Folks:
I just received my copy of Model Engineering a foundational course by Peter Wright. At some point, once I have read it I may write a book review.
First impression is that it is modern and focused on the model engineer hence the title. A lot of the info is in other books I have. I think this a great to have book for someone just starting out. It does not have photos and diagrams of large industrial machines that most HSM will never see or use.
This is a UK book my copy came from http://bookshop.blackwell.co.uk/jsp/id/Model_Engineering_A_Foundation_Course/9781854861528
In my experience Blackwells has great service. The book ends up costing about $40.00 US
Tin

Folks :
As I scan and read through the book I notice how British it is. The book does cover many topics important to the model engineer. But I feel that a true beginner from the USA could easily get lost in it as the book focuses on the ME culture of the UK. If you know model engineering lingo well enough to understand the differences in the language you probably know enough that you really do not need the book.
If you live in the UK or want to understand model engineering from the UK perspective then is is a great book. The other shortcoming in this book is that it does not cover milling or milling machines. the only machine tools coverer are the drill press and lathe. On a positive note it does cover milling on the lathe a topic not often seen in books.
Tin

How difficult was it to order this book from across the pond?.

NK:
Not difficult at all from Blackwells. I just ordered it on the internet with a credit card. . Camdens books in the UK is another good source I have not personally ordered from them but they are highly recommended in the model engineering community. I have found that it pays to shop around via the various book services on line. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy from a book store in the sates and other times it pays to buy directly from the UK. This is actually the second time I ordered this book. the first time I ordered it from a dealer that was cheaper I waited two months still no book. Contacted the seller they said it must have been lost in the mail. I then waited two months for a refund.
I have a half dozen books from the UK in my collection excellent info but does require some translation.
Tin

Hi Tin,
I noticed in a post a bit up the page about milling in the lathe.
Am I right in thinking that this isn't a normal thing in the US.
If it isn't, the members here don't know what they are missing out on.
I can understand where you are coming from with regards to our engineering jargon, I have trouble with it sometimes, especially when they start quoting arcs and tangents and the coefficient of expanding steam. Being an old engineering nation they expect everyone to use this terminology as a standard in model engineering, luckily most of these old ones are starting to go to a better place, and now we are getting a lot more lateral thinking coming into it, so that should make it a lot easier for everyone.
Also with ref. to Camden books, I use them a lot, and if you can get on their mailing list and get one of their catalogues, they have special offers plus they also reprint out of print books. I also think they will attempt to obtain books for you if they don't stock it. All explained here.
http://www.camdenmin.co.uk/
On the title page just go to request booklist, and they will send a copy worldwide.

John

Bogs:
It is my understanding that milling in the lathe is not real common in the US. All the major supply houses sell milling adapters for the lathe. so I am sure it is done. It is not something that was taught in tech school. If you read my intro in the welcome section you see I was trained by the US Air Force as a machinist welder. And like I mentioned I do not recall any of the machining or model making texts covering the subject in any detail. Several texts show a picture and that is as far as it goes. The US army has a machine called the versa Mill it is a combination horizontal mill/ lathe it has many attachments for milling drilling and grinding. It is unlike a regular three in one machine in that most of the work holding is in a lathe chuck. I have never seen one in the "Real world" that is outside the army machinist training site. The machine is designed to sit in the back of a truck to perform field repairs. Army, Air force .and marine Machinist trained under the same roof. Different instructors and machines but the same buildings.
It seems to me the Model engineering culture in the UK is a bit different than in the US. Here it is a bit of a secret hobby relatively unnoticed by the general public. 30 plus years ago Popular mechanics actually published project plans for shop tools and model engines.IIRC Home shop machinist started publishing in the 80s to fill the void.
I do not think the differences are huge but if not understood can be confusing. correct me if I am wrong but this is what I see. We have unf and unc threads you have bsf as a standard. and terms are different : hardware store = Iron monger, silver steel drill rod, Dural = 6061 , our metal for the most part is shipped in 3 ft lengths for drill rod and a lot of steel brass and aluminum comes in 6 ft lengths. Your post limits the lengths to two feet. The US manufacturers of hobby machines produce very small ones ie Sherline and Taig the UK has the myford a much better size.
It is hard to say who has the better selection of books . Village press and Lindsay pubs have a nice selection . One of each from VP would be a great library. on the other hand Tubal Cain and H.N. Harris wrote lots of wonderful books on your side of the pond. And the Peter Wright book is a great one from the British perspective.
Regards
Tin

I know milling in the lathe may not be taught in the trade schools and be a common practice but it is done in job shops.

I like to line bore in a lathe and bore large holes in a lathe over a mill anyday.

Mike and Bogs:
One of the interesting thing about machining is that there are so many ways of doing things. What is unknown in one shop is common in another. The machines the people and the practices can be quite different from shop to shop but there is somehow a common thread.

And back to the book. one of the cool thinks is it helps with tool terms for example a photograph shows what I know as hermaphrodite calipers the caption calls them jenny calipers so the book can help those of us with tubal Cain or KN Harris books understand terms. there are a couple of neat tricks I have not seen elsewhere.
Tin

Latest posts

Back