• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Graver Making & Hand Turning DVD by Bill Smith

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ted123

Reaction score
Hi,
Does anybody know where I can find this DVD for under $30 new or second hand.If anybody has a copy of it or know where I can find it , it would be a great help thanks.

'''Graver Making & Hand Turning DVD by Bill Smith'''

Ted,
I don't know how you intend to use these, horology or otherwise, but I made myself a handful of very useful gravers for fine contouring and finishing work on my full size (larger than horological size) lathe. I bought a few wooden handles and a few bits of ground HSS in 1/8" rounds and squares. I ground off one end of the HSS to a 45° (or so) angle and poked the other end into a handle. Then I made myself a sharpening jig and went to work making them frightfully sharp, and they work beautifully. No doubt Bill Smith (a Tennessean IIRC) uses carbon steel, hardened and tempered, and I won't argue that might be better for watch and clock work, but compared with watchmaking my usage could be considered "rough use" so the 1/8" HSS works just fine. The only problem I have is that gravers require high spindle speed for optimal results and a conventional lathe will barely make a workable minimum rpm thus increasing the potential for dig-ins so I work very close to the work.

GRAVER2.jpg

I'd recommend the Sherline documents - I used them to make myself a set of gravers some years ago and have used them ever since. I will say this, though - you must have a decent T-rest if you plan to use gravers.

That having been said, Bill Smith's books are great stuff - full of little tips and hints that help a lot. I suspect that his DVD's might be worth the money.

You can get them from here: ClockTools.com, but of course, they're more than $30.

For what it's worth, I just rented my first DVD from SmartFlix.

All went well and it is much cheaper than buying.

I will rent from them again.

Smartflix have a very nice catalog on machining videos. I wish it were a streaming world wide system i would rent a lot too.

Ted i hope you found the DVDs :)

Mawito

Interestingly enough, I called Mr Smith a couple of years ago and he answered the phone!. He's a very nice man.

ClockTools has the books. Also try "Hands of Time"

Dave

I rent often from SmartFlix. I'm usually after the information and learning from the vids rather than owning a set of something else to get dusty on the shelf so it makes sense to me.

I am just about certain that you aren't allowed to copy them, though. (Well... maybe if the copyright has expired? 20 Years I think... and some may be that old?)

Back