Got my feet wet, now more questions...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucketn

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I am studying “Flame Gulper” engines for my next build(#2). I am building a collection of free plans from Antony Davis, J. Ridders, Dr. Alfred Bachmann, the Candle Engine made from black pipe and a pipe cap, and one from Popular Science, and the Poppin from Live Steam. Any other free plan you know of for ideas?
I understand the basic principle and construction. Most of the plans call for a 2 ½” x 3” piece of cast iron for the cylinder,and cast iron for the piston. The Cylinder usually has fins cut into the outside. I understand this is to improve cooling of the hot gas from the flame.
My question is how critical is the diameter, and length of the cylinder? I have aluminum in a large enough diameter. Could I not make the cylinder from aluminum and the piston from brass? The hardest part for me will be to come up with a simple working valve that I can make.
I don't read German, but I think thie vaccum engine shown here: http://www.john-tom.com/html/SteamPlans.html uses an aluminum cylinder and brass piston. I'm using Google Translate gadget to translate some of the words.

Chuck in E. TN

Cylinder out of either Alluminium or Brass (Messing),
Piston from Cast Iron (Gusseisen - should have the B double s, but Ive not got it on the keyboard...)
or Bronze, probably a leaded bronze.
There is an easily translated parts/materials list at the end of the PDF (pg 7)

hth

Dave

Hi Chuck

This is my take on the german engine on the john-tom page. I think the plans actually show a steel cylinder pressed into an aluminium finned housing. I changed the valve to be more like the poppins, and made the bearing standards vertical rather than inclined. It wasn't much of a build log, but it does show the finished engine and some video of it running.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=8960.0

Hey Chuck.

I have asked this question here and done some research on it myself. From what I came up with, if you want to use an aluminum cylinder, than using bronze for th piston should work. I have not done it myself but I have seen one working with what they called phosphor bronze, and they mentioned not to use an oil bronze. I do think that brass might be a good choice, being similar to bronze and I have seen it used many times in stirlings with aluminum cylinders.

Just a thought.

Kel

I have a couple of crankshafts from lawn mower engines. Would they be suitable for piston material? They aren't big enough for cylinders. I do have some steel bar that might make a cylinder.
Any ideas for a source of Cast Iron for cylinders other than ordering online?

Chuck in E. TN

Latest posts

Back