Gloves

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what was he doing wearing gloves? Too bad he had to learn the hard way. Obviously one should never wear gloves around machine tools, rule one, or is safety glasses rule one?

i grew up on a farm so you're not going to bother me, but it would be far more appropriate to post links prefixed with a warning than to just open the thread and be presented with your friend's fresh a half a finger so people could decide if that is how they wanted to spend their evening.

I personally like the shock treatment.

OK it might upset a few peoples dinners for a while, but I bet they sure got the point.

When I was in the services they used these sort of shock pictures all over the place, all relevent to the area you were working in. A picture of a persons imprint in a ceiling when the wheel he was working on came apart, sure got the point over, not to stand over a wheel while inflating it. I still stand back when doing the tyres on my car.

Shock works.

John

The de-gloved finger from wearing a ring peeling the skin off is a 'shocker' which makes people re-think their jewelery habits.

An unfortunate aspect of the glove accident is that some operations which might require a glove for safety in one instance say can cause a snagging hazard in another.

One can easily pontificate on hazards etc and Health and Safety legislation and how it is implemented but it is important I feel that anybody carrying out any process know the risk of 'what's the worst that can happen' and any hazard which can't be avoided is mitigated, i.e. keep your fingers well clear or don't get between the load and the ship.

In the home shop where we generally work on our own and there is no-one else to switch off the machine which is flailing around a severed hand and administer first aid we must be especially careful. A good first aid kit is a must have. Though they may not be sterile, I tear open the ends of a few choice size sticking plasters and have them out of the box ready in the lid of the kit as if I'm bleeding I don't want to rummage through to find what I want and then attempt to open it one handed. Fortunately no need to prove this method yet!

I would ask if the gent injured in the pics posted, knew there was a snag hazard from his wearing gloves but wore them anyway. If he had been told to wear them then the liability is a completely different kettle of fish.

I hope he recovers fully.

Al

Hi
By posting these pictures i did not want to cause distress to anyone do you want me to remove them and post a link . It has now healed up nicely and causes him little problem.
Regards
John

Hi John,

My feeling is, the pictures are just fine. Safety in our shops is very important and if the images prevent one person to stop, think and not lose a finger, they have done the job.

Kenny

I have been wondering lately - if we are not to wear gloves or long sleaves how do we protect our arms and hands from flying hot chips? I get little burns on my arms alot - Not a very big deal but it is anoying.

Smog,

I think a lot of it is common sense. I put up with the hot chips on bare skin. Mainly because the other option is no skin at all.

You can buy disposable paper type oversleeves, that if caught in a machine will strip straight off without pulling your arm in.
Here is a link to sew your own up, a tiny bit of velco in the right places will ensure it rips straight off.

http://sewing.about.com/od/freeprojects/a/sleeveprotecotr.htm

John

I just been out in the shop turning stainless steel with lathe...Long strings of razor wire being sent off in my direction...This type work has always scared me into highly alert state, dont need a gory picture to remind me to be careful...Lathe particularly dangerous in my opinion....With the milling machine I try to feed the work from direction that sends chips away from me, that works some of the time., I often set power feed and step away from the mill when its munching metal and throwing bluehot chips to skittering ten foot across the shop floor...But too, I always have 5 to 10 little burn wounds on each hand, cant entirely avoid it,- damn right wear safety glasses and often full face shield..

Did anyone see that article on BBC news last night? It was a bout a magic powder made from an extract of pigs bladder that enables fingers to regrow.

Apparently rather than growing scar tissue which stops the bodypart growing back it enables the cells to regrow.

Here's an article, bit out of date though. The guy on the news sliced his finger off with the Prop of an R/C model plane - he didn't ever find the part that was sliced off! Applied the powder everyday from a little salt shaker and 4 weeks later he had the expected number of digits again. Was a little dent in the end of his finger like he had pressed on a ball point pen a little hard after writing a lot.

After another week or so I'd have thought there would be no sign atall of it being cut off. He called it "Magic Moon Dust"

http://www.livescience.com/health/070219_regrow_fingers.html

Obviously not wanting to undermine the severity of loosing fingers, but it does show what wonders modern pioneering surgical practice can achieve!

Gloves, loose clothing, long hair, jewelry... All bad news around spinning things.

My uncle is a retired machinist from Bethlehem Steel. One nice day he was grabbed by his jacket sleeve while operating a 20" lathe. It snatched him up and spun him round and round until the jacket tore. Meanwhile it tore his sholder out of it's socket and broke his forearm.

A friend of mine worked with my uncle. He said the whole thing happened in a flash. Once the machine let him go he managed to reach up and shut the machine off... He was off work for 5 months because of that.

100_0240.jpg

Notice something? GLOVES...............Enough SAID.

Man, That's a tough picture to look at. I yell at guys all the time at work to take their gloves off running equipment. I'll show them this. Maybe they'll wake up.

I hope people pay attention to this. Thanks for sharing that.

1hand, I know there is a story behind that picture.
I won't try to force it. It is up to you to share the story or not.

It IS that serious people!

Rick

I just re-read this thread from the start. I'm going to make myself do it again once in a while. Thanks to all who contributed.

Jerry

Well once a upon a time there was this little feller who was doing his job of taking pieces of steel re-bar out of a surge bin after concrete had been threw a primary jaw crusher. The piece of re-bar that he grabbed became intangled in a head pulley of the conveyor and hooked this little fellers glove cuff and pulled him into a rotating
2 15/16" shaft. The shaft reeled him and the 8' re-bar in a split second. Took his arm around the shaft to his arm pit. Though gloves are required for this job and the result of the accident was because of a unguarded pulley Assembly from the manufacturer. Moral of the story is, things can happen faster than you can react to. Try to put yourself in the safest possible position for the task you are proforming. And if you do, you can live happily ever after. The end.

AND that's my story

Matt aka 1 hand.

Thank you 1hand... :(

We NEED to hear that. I got bit by a bandsaw at age 12, but luckily for me they sewed it all back together .......

Did get my attention though....and perhaps thankfully, makes me safer minded now 30+ years later.

Dave

Latest posts

Back