Furnace

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robcas631

Reaction score
I was in bed until I was woken by cold! It was 45 degrees F in my room! So I checked the furnace and had to reset it. I was hoping and praying that my fuel line was not frozen being that it is a balmy 5 or 6 degrees F outside! Lucky for me it wasn't! So I waited an hour and it's now 2:15 AM. I haven't heard it gag for fuel so I'm going to bed. The furnace has never worked this hard, so I assume that might be the problem. We shall see! Yawnnnn.....Night all stay warm!

Hi Rob, just saw a news item about how cold it currently is in New York, looked very quiet in Times Square. Stay inside and keep warm.

Paul.

Noticed a little nip in the air in the workshop today.
I think it read 45C / 113F.:eek:

warm workshop 45c 113f.jpg

I see that some outback towns in Australia have nearly hit 49C / 120F. No need to use you stove, just put your food outside for a while and it will be cooked. Down here in Melbourne it's still fairly cool, only 21C today with some drizzle.

Paul.

We made it through the night. I cranked up the snow blower because blizzard conditions and frigid air were gone. Being that it was a balmy 26 degrees F, the foot of snow was easy to remove! I love that snow blower!

Ugggg!!!!!! Turns out tonight I have to get the furnace serviced again! It's only been a month! I'll bet, that the filter is clogged or line is frozen!! My error for putting the tank outside! This spring I will buy a new one and put it in my basement! I see it's time to learn yet another trade and stock up on filters until then!

It has been a warm and balmy 25 degrees F below zero here in the Dakota's. Wind chills have been considerably lower than that. Our plumbing/furnace companies have been working around the clock since many of these systems fail in the extreme cold.

I was in bed until I was woken by cold! It was 45 degrees F in my room! So I checked the furnace and had to reset it. I was hoping and praying that my fuel line was not frozen being that it is a balmy 5 or 6 degrees F outside! Lucky for me it wasn't! So I waited an hour and it's now 2:15 AM. I haven't heard it gag for fuel so I'm going to bed. The furnace has never worked this hard, so I assume that might be the problem. We shall see! Yawnnnn.....Night all stay warm!

See if your fuel line has a filter on the outside before the line gose into the house to get to the furnace. If it does you need to move it in side mine frozen in Buffalo, NY and I moved it inside never had a problem after that!

Just read your other post the tank is not normally the problem but any moisture freezes in the filter but if it inside and warm it will not gel or freeze.

Todd
smiley.gif

Fortunately the fuel filter is inside. The issue is that have a tank outside, causes condensation that goes to the bottom of the tank. Same concept as a glass of cold ice tea on a hot humid day. The tap to the tank is located at the base. There are additives that rid the tank of water, they work but only to a certain extent. When it becomes extremely cold that sludgy oil clogs up the filter.
I believe two thinks can be done.

First, is knowing how to change the oil filter, and having parts in stock. Second, is to turning off the tap and relocate the oil line through the top of the tank, in such a way that it is at least a foot away from the bottom.

Changing oil filters and O rings ect... is as easy as changing the oil on a car. Same with priming it. It has the same exact bolt located in a car brake caliper. As most know bleeding brake fluid is easy.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back