Four cylinder swash plate style air engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dparker

In Rembrance 8/2021
Reaction score
Hello All: I posted pictures of this engine several months back and now have been trying to learn how to do videos with the new camera.
This engine was built without the use of a lathe, just a drillpress, tubing cutter and a file. Then the pieces were assembled and soldered. I believe the plans were in Popular Mechanics or Popular Science back in the 60's or 70's. The material is the brass tubing from a hobby store that telescopes together.
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tB9sUQJuOVk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Apparently I still haven't completely got it correct, but the video does show so I will post.
don

Hello

I am most interested in this engine I have been trying to unsuccessfully to make a 3-cylinder version of this type of machine assuming it could be self-starting. I would be most grateful if you could let me see any plans or drawing you have used.

Yours Paul

Paul: The plans are long forgotten as I built this engine in the mid 1970's. Some months ago I sketched up the details of the engine and posted them here.
S3500004Y.jpg

I hope you can get the idea from this. It is possible the plans may have come out of a issue of Live Steam magazine if not the others mentioned.
Good Luck-----don

Looks like it runs pretty well to me. Biggest problem seems to be that it might be a little sensitive to air pressure. Considering that it is not the most rigid design I think it works pretty well.

Latest posts

Back