Elmer's Fancy by jtrout13 - VIDEO added!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtrout13

Reaction score
I just finished my fourth engine, Elmer's fancy. Without a lot of talk, I departed from his design in several ways. I made the column of the engine wider and 'beefier', and added a pressed-in bearing for the pivot shaft up top. My piston is made of drill rod (2 pieces pressed together) instead of the threaded brass style mentioned in the plans. Also, I modified the valving so that the intake and exhaust ports exit out the sides of the column, instead of one in the back and one on the side as per the plans. Add a custom flywheel (bimetallic at that), and a 'fancy' nut/retainer to hold the spring of course.

Excuse the dust and drops of oil on her in the pictures, she just got her first run.

Piston:
Fancy5.jpg

View showing the bearing up top:
Fancy4.jpg

And three of the finished engine:
Fancy2.jpg

Fancy1.jpg

Fancy3-1.jpg

UPDATE 7-1-2011, here is the video!

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pvxce5pIyLo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed>

That does look fancy. Superb finish you have there. Well done
Brock

A very well done engine!!!
Love the two tone metal flywheel!!!!

How about a video of her running????

Andrew

Beautiful engine, I really like your changes to the original plans.

Roberto

Very nicely done and so well finished too. All your little personal touches show it off well!!! I too would love to see it running.

Regards,
Bill

woohoo1 Came out Beautiful John :bow: :bow: - Well done indeed ! th_wav

stickpoke Video ? ;D

Kind regards, Arnold

Thanks :) Special thanks go to ArnoldB for his help on this project. Right now I have to run it using a basketball needle, which requires both hands (one to work the trigger on the needle, and the other to hold the engine against it). However, clear tubing is on its way, and a video will come as soon as that arrives...

Okay guys, video has been added. Check the first post to see it.

Nice video ...thank for adding it.

Bill

A very fine Fancy. Thm: Thm:
Gail in NM

An a very classy wobbler it is. The detail and finish is exceptional.
Nice job trout.
gbritnell

:bow: :bow: Looks great running as well John ;D - Thank you for the video.

And thanks for the honourable mention; Just happy to help out.

Kind regards, Arnold

Bravo, and well done! Your little engine came out great!!! Thanks for the vid to, love to see them running nice like that :D

Regards,

Will R.

Back