Foundry Question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfside

Reaction score
I've never tried foundry work but I've been cutting different types of metal in my band saw. Have you tried cutting risers and gates using band saw machine?

I have no specific knowledge or experience cutting gates BUT, I know that (a) almost every casting I've ever had showed signs of the gates having been removed with an abrasive disk, and (b) one of the places where there is most likely to be chilling (hardening) in a new casting is in or at the gates or riser and a chilled section would take all the teeth off your bandsaw blade in one revolution. I would try it with a file first. If the file bounces off then it's chilled and a bandsaw blade won't touch it.

Sure - you can do it in a metal cutting bandsaw. In a pinch you can cut aluminum with a wood bandsaw, but it is tough on blades.

Jason H.

abrasive disks are used in foundries but a lot of that has to do with modern castings being done in ceramic. ceramic is hard to remove 100% and hitting ceramic is instant death to pretty much anything but an abrasive disk which would only have accelerated breakdown rather than breaking. a quality saw blade should cut through almost any metal you can throw at it if the sfpm is set correctly. on chilled cast iron that may be extremely slow and the blade may not last long so you may want to experiment or invest in a cutoff saw for cast iron.

I just found out that there are special blades made for cutting risers or gates. So, I think, a quality saw blade wouldn't be a problem.

I use a stationary bandsaw or port-a-band to cut mine with no problems...Bill

Lot of replies but no-one has asked " what metal castings? " I use the band saw for cutting sprues and runners of most of my non-ferrous castings , that's brass , bronze , nickel silver or aluminium.
If it can be held safely then it can be cut.

Would it be possible for you Abby to post some pictures of your work? I just heard about foundry work. I honestly don't have any idea.

Back