Floating Toolholders

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antman

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I’ve read a couple of places about floating toolholders and tried to make sense of some diagrams but it may as well be Ewoki to me. Can someone please explain to me what a floating reamer holder looks like and how does it work? Is it something you can make yourself?
Cheers,
Ant

Ant

I was going to suggest you have a look at Chris Heapy's design, but the pictures do not show up on my screen now. It's about his only project that there is no picture for! Typical.

However, there are drawings available to download in .dfx format and construction notes for it.

Here's the link, anyway: http://www.astronomiainumbria.org/a...ica/easyweb.easynet.co.uk/_chrish/tap_die.htm

It's about the only project that there is no picture for! Typical.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

If you have access to it ..

Floating Reamer Chuck write up in MEW ( ? ) Jul/Aug 1994.

Haven't made one, no idea whether it's good, dud or indifferent.

Dave

Dave,

It is in MEW #24.

Unfortunately, that is a basic 1 dimensional floating head, whereas to do a good job, a sort of 2 dimensional floating head is required, which the two mentioned above are.
They not only allow for side to side discrepancy (which is what the MEW version does), it also allows for up down/side to side angular problems as well.

John

The biggest issue with the Hemingway floating reamer is the design is based on MT-1 shank reamers, ouch. You could use the split Colliss collets to hold the reamers, but they cost about as much as a reamer. Yeah, its not cheap to get good holes.

Tom,

I'm looking to have a 2MT socket for my set of Imperial reamers, but have it interchangeable to a keyless chuck for all my plain shanked ones.

The Chris Heapy one looks to be the way to go, but it will take a bit of accurate machining to get it right.

John

Latest posts

Back