Fix for porosity in brass ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slice of steel or CI bar will be cheaper than brass.

Can you get hollow cast bearing bronze over there in short lengths, you can buy it by the inch (25mm) here, that way you are not paying for the material in the middle

Thanks Ken ,i am looking at possibilities i intend to try a few experiments on some brass and see what i get , Happy Holidays to all and i hope and i mean really hope for a better new year because the last couple have been not so good !

Postscript - I would pickle the flywheel before soldering as the porosity is almost certainly badly oxidised.
Regards, Ken

I got some A2 tool steel in a round 4.25 diameter and 4 inches in length for about $60.00 plus shipping best i could find at the time .
Turned down the flywheel and left .1875 it just cleaned up at that, and the porosity came all the way across to within a 1/8th of the other side.

I have gotten some let' say less than favorable castings before but at least we can do a work around on this one, and still use it but i hate having to modify a model from the original parts, just kind of makes me not happy about the Model .

A little work and some heat with a torch and we should get a nice shrink fit on the wheel and be done with it except for clean up .

Attachments

• IMG_0425.JPG
    IMG_0425.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0427.JPG
    IMG_0427.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0426.JPG
    IMG_0426.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 76
Back