First V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgilmoreco

Reaction score
Hi Guys: Wanted to share some pics of my first attempt at a V8. The block and main caps were machined out of a chunk of 6061 T-6 Alum. as well as the oil pan, timing cover, rear bulkhead plate, and flywheel cover. Cylinder liners are made from 40K grey cast iron. Timing gears were made using brass and 4130 steel. Helical gears that drive the 2 magnetos were purchased from Boston Gear. The stand was made from 6061 also. I'm getting ready to start the crank, but as yet, haven't decided whether to use a flat, or dual plane version. The flat would be much easier to machine, but I'm not sure about the durability. Any advice would be appreciated.

:D:D:D
Hi Guys: Wanted to share some pics of my first attempt at a V8. The block and main caps were machined out of a chunk of 6061 T-6 Alum. as well as the oil pan, timing cover, rear bulkhead plate, and flywheel cover. Cylinder liners are made from 40K grey cast iron. Timing gears were made using brass and 4130 steel. Helical gears that drive the 2 magnetos were purchased from Boston Gear. The stand was made from 6061 also. I'm getting ready to start the crank, but as yet, haven't decided whether to use a flat, or dual plane version. The flat would be much easier to machine, but I'm not sure about the durability. Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks for telling fairy tail stories help me sleep good

A cross plane crank with balance weights is perfectly balanced in a 90º V8 while a flat plane crank is only fully balanced in a V8 with a balance shaft which takes more work to make and takes more friction than balance weights. A flat plane crank is ideal for a boxer type engine since it needs no balance weights to be perfectly balanced.

The flat plane crank has a even firing order so it has a more even, smooth sound. A cross plane crank has a uneven firing order so it gives it a distinctive "burble" in the exhaust note, like the classic big block muscle cars we all know very little about. ;)

For me I would choose primarily for sound more than anything else if were just for a display engine, if it was going into a rc car where you are going to run the balls out of the thing then vibration will take its toll on the parts due to fatigue. So the smoother the better.

Hope this helps,
John.

Hi Guys: Spent 30 minutes choosing 8 pics and saving them in the "Manage Attachments" file. Hit "Upload" and nothing happened. I'm going to try again tonite. Thanks for the advice on the crank. I'm with you. Sound is 90% of the effect these small Display engines have. john G.

Back