First model- American Machine (Denny) hot air engine model

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myrickman

Reaction score
What a neat site I stumbled onto!! I am a new modeler, long time engine restorer. Here is a video of my first model I finished over December 2008. Was pleased with the outcome. It is now mounted on a nice oak base.
If you search user fordson23, you'll see my other "model" a steam engine converted to a gas engine.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJPon33BxqE[/ame]

Myrickman,

Welcome to our forum
icon_welcome.gif

Very nice model :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

First off, welcome. Second, that is a cool engine. Everyone here is going to love the video.

Nice looking engine! Welcome to the forum.

I also like your half breed hit n miss. Pretty impressive to watch it run.

Chuck

Welcome to a great group of model builders. You'll really enjoy this forum.
I like all the action going on with your engine. Lots of movement.

Welcome to HMEM
Beautiful Engine!

Rick

Very nice. The video really shows off all the action going on. Love all the moving parts going different directions.

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement all. I have been exploring the site and there is a whole lot of good information and quality posts detailing how-to's. I figured I'd post a still of the Denny since I had none on the base. Thanks again and hope to contribute in the future.

dennyonbase.jpg

Where did you get the castings and plans?

I am almost done with the Rider Ericson engine that is very similar to that one. I thought Id get it to run today, but as always things take longer than you expect.

Ron- Here is the link to pictures of the Denny castings. There is a page showing the contact info for Wade Eisner in Maine.
As I recall, the casting set was ~350 usd + ship. http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=215847102/a=120847141_108736691/t_=120847141
There are a few dimensions on the prints I changed to get things looking "right"- give me a PM if you need advice. I made all the screws from 3/16, 1/4 and 3/8 SS hex stock. There are a few 5-40's I made which I would replace with 4-40's or 6-32's. Some issues with the casting thickness where the bearing block to the flywheel bolts onto. All-in-all the casting quality was good- only one small hard spot. The prints say to make the bottom end cover from 2" copper tubing; I'd make it out of stainless or mild steel if I did it again as they have a lower thermal conductivity and keep more heat on the very bottom. BTW- I lofted a set of 1/4 scale Ericsson prints to make most of the parts of a 8" Rider-Ericsson hot air engine about 5 years ago. Started with the base, cylinder and water pump and made all the rest from patterns I had cast.

Latest posts

Back