First engine ideas.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagon173

Reaction score
Okay guys. So I just got back from Afghanistan yesterday. I had to go watch captain america trash some junk cars at monster jam first (that was my girls idea. I know I have a winner!) and then I watched Team USA beat the Canadians in ATV racing so that was a glorious welcome home! I'm getting the packing grease off of this lathe now and wondering what to make first. Steam doesn't really seem to do it for me. If y'all think it would be a good choice, I'll give it a go. But I was looking for an IC first engine project. Preferably something that runs on kerosine since I have a butt-load left over from cleaning the packing grease off. Also I read a couple of places (not official sites) to lube it with 30w engine oil. The lathe manual simply says to "Lube it" What is your take on that? It's a CM 7x10. Thanks! I'm sure I'll have dozens more questions as I get this ball rolling! -Brandon

Okay guys. So I just got back from Afghanistan yesterday

Welcome home thanks for serving.

now and wondering what to make first.
we generally suggest a simple air powered engine to gain experience on.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f27/selecting-first-engine-build-15183/

I was looking for an IC first engine project.
http://heetgasmodelbouw.ridders.nu/Webpaginas/pagina_1-cilinder_glas_4takt/1cil_glas_frameset.htm
The farm engine plan set is flexable but a fairly simple designs.
http://hamiltonupshur.tripod.com/

Preferably something that runs on kerosine
not likely unless you want to build a model jet engine. not what I would consider a beginner project.

Also I read a couple of places (not official sites) to lube it with 30w engine oil. The lathe manual simply says to "Lube it" What is your take on that? It's a CM 7x10

30 wt motor oil will get you started but Use real way oil you can get it on e bay in pint containers but I recomend go to Enco or some other indusrial suppplier get a gallon and it will last for years.

6000215-23.jpg

shell and others also sell good way oil. if you have a heavy equipment company near you ISO 68 hydaulic oil will also work.

I'm sure I'll have dozens more questions as I get this ball rolling! -
bring them on a few at a time please.
tin

My first engine was an Upshur Farm Engine. Highly recommended! I do agree with Tin that an air motor is probably best for your first build, But I also prefer I.C. motors (I don't like to be tied to an air source) This web site has a wealth of information and very helpful, decent people to assist you on your first build. Thank You for your service. Welcome!
Cheepo45

DSC04389.jpg

It seems to be unanimous to start steam for ease into machining so I got plans for the david 2 wobbler and I got my stock and realized that I had ordered the wrong shank size tools :( I guess another week or so won't kill me. Definitely feels like getting socks for christmas lol.

Latest posts

Back