First engine - a wobbler of course!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kquiggle

Reaction score
Just finished my first ever engine build. I took some good advice from this group and built a wobbler:

KfFGM7MsctDxOWWJGStkNNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0
build---wobbler-engine
IMG_20130308_103957.jpg

WobblerEngine
Since I am pretty much a newbie to home machining, going with a wobbler turned out to be good choice. Even though I was a bit concerned that it might be too simple, it turned out to be a good match for my beginner skills. It was a good learning experience, without being so difficult that it became frustrating.

More pictures and build information here.

Last edited:
Your engine looks great. This was also my first engine and I agree that it is perfect for a beginner. Do you have any plans on what to make next?

Very similar to my first engine completed last month. I am also in Michigan and it has been a bit colder than normal. My shop is a small room at the back corner of an unattached garage. I put in a propane furnace to keep it 50F and a wood burner for when I am working. The system seems to work out well.

Oops, getting side tracked, your engine looks great. Tried to watch the video, but nothing was there. I am using an ipad running pos, I mean iOS. Maybe that the problem.

Stay warm.

Your engine looks great. This was also my first engine and I agree that it is perfect for a beginner. Do you have any plans on what to make next?

Thanks for the comment. I'm mulling over what to make next. I'm thinking about making a small boiler because the purist in me says that a steam engine should run on steam! (Compressed air is good for testing, though.)

Another option would be a larger more complex steam engine.

I've got a few fix-it projects to work on also, so I guess I'll get some of those done while I consider/research some options.

Mark - the video is Flash, which I assume is why you can't see it on ipad.

Stay warm yourself. My drill press is in an unheated garage and I about freeze when I need to use it in winter. It's an attached garage so if I keep the door to the house open I can get it up to 45F.

By the way - I saw your post on your engine - really beautiful work. I really like the finish you put on the base, and the display case/glass is a great idea.

Latest posts

Back