Fire bottle

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnalot

Project of the Month Winner !!!
Reaction score
So I was looking around my shop admiring what I have put together over the past year and a half. Then I started wondering what kind of fool has only two small old fire bottles to protect it. My feeble well can make a hose pee almost as far as I can and the nearest fire hydrant is 22 miles away. So I ordered five large dry chem bottles and a soda powered water tank for my welding area. Have you looked around your shop lately?

Mark T

Hang them by the door
:fan:you want to fight the fire on your way out
if you can't put the fire out continue out the door

A fire extinguisher is the first thing you throw down before you run away. I have one by each door of my shop. Old VWs are well known for catching fire. "G"

Having been in a couple of fires, I came quickly to this axiom: You can never have enough fire extinguishers.

Have a couple different types, And a water hose as well. Check the gauge at least once a year, and mark the hang tag on the bottle with the date.

When I had my boat shop the dry-chem bottles were inspected by a professional every year. The tech would check to see if it still had a charge and would then turn the bottle upside down and rap it several times with a rawhide mallet. He would then roll the bottle on the ground several times before hanging back on the wall. The powder inside becomes compacted over time and must be loosened. At the ten year mark the bottle was emptied and then refilled with the same old powder and recharged. We can do our own rap & roll but it should be taken to a Pro for the dump & re-charge.

Mark T

Latest posts

Back