Finding Stirling Materials

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodbuilder

Reaction score
I am looking at doing a Stirling design using the glass test tubes, where is a source for the test tubes. I can find bulk orders but finding a 20mm and a 16mm sold in quantities of one is hard. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I have looked on eBay but cant find both sizes. I really would like to use glass for the exterior so you can see whats going on.

Since you don't tell us where you live, the best suggestion i have is a place in India that you can find on Goggle.

If you reside in the U.K try Cromwell tools. I recently purchased some from them min order of 10 for £5.These are good quality and true to size be careful of buying cheap ones as the bore may not be true.
regards Frazer

Sorry about that I am in the New Orleans, LA, USA. I changed my information so it has it now.

Like most things, Google is your friend. Try searching for laboratory supplies or science supplies. l live in Canada and many retail shopping malls have science stores that sell to budding young experimenters in all branches of science. They sell all the common chemistry lab glass ware at high prices (Test tubes $1.25/each compared to a few cents if you order of the net in quantity). For the number I used and broke it was just more convenient to buy from them than to order off the net.

If you are using plans from Jan Ridder or other European designers, be aware that some of the test tubes they use are not available in North America. One builder on this board overcame that by buying Pyrex tubing in the proper id and then plugging one end after cutting to length. I took a different approach and mounted a standard test tube to an aluminum cylinder instead of using the test tube as the cylinder.

I found Pyrex test tubes on e-bay. Only place I did find them. Only had to buy 6. TJ :eek:

Hobby shops (Hobby Lobby, etc) or a Frys if you have one nearby.

Although the "chemistry set" has largely gone the way of the dodo, there are still a few test tubes to be had in hobby shops. They're much cheaper in bulk though.

Back