Find my screw

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucketn

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out insert tooling. After seeing a flycutter set up with a round indexable insert tool, I decided to try one. I ordered the tool and inserts from CTC Tools, probably my first mistake. Second was not ordering them both at the same time. I ordered the tool, and immediately realized I’d forgotten the inserts. An E-mail to CTC asking to add the inserts to the order was ignored. So, tool came w/o inserts, but hat a Torx screw and tool. I tried to find the inserts at an affordable price elsewhere, but failed. I later ordered the recommended inserts for the tool from CTC. Second mistake! Inserts came. But no screw. And to pour salt on my wound, the screw that came with the tool falls straight through the hole in the round insert!
So, my question, how do you figure out what is the proper screw for this insert on this tool? Neither description of the insert or the tool on CTC’s website gives the spec for the correct screw. The insert description gives a screw part # that isn’t found anywhere… CTC doesn’t list it, nor does the insert manufacturer. HELP!
Can I just take the screw that fits (threadwise) the tool holder and an insert to Fastenal and expect to find a SHCS that will work?
Chuck

Try Carbide Depot. They have screws listed and sold separately from the inserts. You might have luck finding what you need by matching insert hole and thread size.

Depending on the size you can use cap screws,i chamfer the underside of the head in the lathe.You can also tap out the holder if needed

Apart from one milling cutter, I don't use inserts. However, I do recall that Harold Hall( who is probably a member here) wrote an article on how to make holders for tools. So far, I have no success in finding the article and others might have a better memory. Perhaps some can be helpful. Unquestionably Mr Hall is eminently readable

Norman

Temp fix in place. Turned a spacer to fit insert and screw. Still looking for permanent fix.

Chuck

Last edited:
what thread size? what size hole?

you might just need a different model of insert.

I caved to the suggestion, both here and by CTC Tools Heine, to return the inserts and get refunded the cost of the inserts, the insert tool holder, shipping, and return postage. I will report here the final result, good or bad.

Chuck

I received a notification today from PayPal that Heine of CTC Tools had refunded the cost of the lathe tool, inserts, and shipping to return them.
Case closed.

Chuck

I really don't get the point of this thread chucktn. I've purchased thousands of dollars of stuff from CTC. Sometimes I've asked on the checkout for stuff not listed and Heine has sent me a Paypal invoice for the extras.

However, in my experience, he does not bave the time to respond to emails and some research online shows others have the same experince.

Clearly if the screw for the insert holder was too small to hold the insert, you ordered the wrong insert for the tool.

And yes, I've bought the wrong inserts just like you too but hardly their fault, just my ignorance. My solution was to buy another useful insert holder on my next order. In my case I purchased a tool for a 9mm insert and ordered 6mm inserts for it. Clearly you did something similar.

In one instance, I asked on checkout to make a substitute if I ordered the wong insert and it took me months to realise CTC was right and I was wrong as I thought I had the wrong insert.

The fact that CTC gave you a 100% refund including freight confirms that they are a supplier you can trust.

There is quite a learning curve understanding specs for tools and inserts but the tooling CTC sells is based on the ISO international standards so some research in a few catalogs will show you the right item.

$38 for 10 inserts from CTC is a hell of a lot better than $100+ locally as it seems you found out but it is up to you to do the research to order the correct item. Just follow the ISO engineering standard.

It is unfair on the supplier to suggest the problems you experienced was their fault. If you want to save money, do the research otherwise pay a premium to purchase locally.

You know what they say about opinions, Rob. I ordered the inserts based on the information on CTC's website. The tool part # was linked to the insert I ordered, and conversely the insert was linked to the tool. I don't know what else I could have done. I have had issues with other vendors and they bent over backwards to fix the problem. LMS once replaced a $22 cutoff tool holder at no cost because the blade clamp screw stripped out, and I just wanted to buy a replacement screw! That in my mind is a quality vendor!
Any vendor that's too busy to respond to my questions doesn't need my business. All I needed was the correct screw, not to return the inserts, and tool.

Chuck

Chuck

Got to agree with rodw seems like a lot of fuss about a screw,think of the jobs you could have done with the time you spent sorting it out. Life's to short to worry about a screw.

I had similar problem with selecting inserts.
The root of the problem NOT the buyer.
The root of the problem is the faulty multiple standards, nomenclature and the lack of complete dimensions for the insert.
Few vendor show the hole diameter, and even those do not show it for all the insert with a hole.
Same for the holder.
How is a poor chap ever to order an holder and an insert that play together.

True you got to do your research.

After spending an afternoon on line you may be able to piece together ALL the required info from multiple sources.

What kind of rational business is that?
We HSM order hundreds of items on line, without ambiguity or fuss EXCEPT for inserts.

This is not a question about CTC integrity, or the value of a screw issue, Is an issue about inadequate characterization of product.

Dumping on Chucketn does not seem fair.

I honestly have not had any problems ordering inserts here in UK so simple e.g.
90° Facemill
50mm Diameter
Uses the APKT1604 inserts
4 cutting teeth
16mm cutting edge length
22mm bore
Part of http://www.jbcuttingtools.com web page
I'm not connected in any way to JB.
Not dumping on anybody just giving you my opinion, free speech and all that.

Sure, once you know the PN ordering is a no brainer.

But how do you know that the APKT1604 fit your holder? The vendor website does not disclose the hole diameter.

By now I know the insert codes that fit my holder, but that knowledge was not acquired via a rational process, it was hit and miss, buy and return until success.

Not to mention that there may be a multitude of insert that fit a given holder and validating whether any listed insert in a catalog is impossible when some important data is missing such as the hole diameter or the thickness.

I'll be the first to admit I know very little about inserts. But, if I go to a vendor, any vendor, and find a tool, and the listing for that tool says x insert is for this tool, and I order that insert, based on the vendors info, I expect the vendor to make it right if his listing is incorrect, regardless! This thread has run it's course. I got my money back. The end.

Chuck

Latest posts

Back