Finally!!!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgarrett

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
On advice from Rick as a first engine build project I started this engine a few months ago. Two week project, no big deal!!! Well today it ran..
Having only had a Maximat 5 and no mill I acquired a Maximat V10P and a HF large mill/drill. I figured the best way to learn how to use these machines was to build something that I was interested in, hence the steam engine. After a very long learning curve, numerous remake of parts and a heart attack I finally completed it.
I know this is no big deal to the old timers who gave me a lot of help and advice but it might encourage some new folks. I guess the 2 parts that gave me the most grief was the flywheel and the conrod. Learning how to setup for machining is much harder than the process it self.
I do plan on making a nice wooden base for it soon.
Julian G.

parts.jpg

rsideM.jpg

lsideM.jpg

That's a neat little engine, and nicely finished!

Where did you get the plans?

Best,

BW

Very nice job, Julian.

That was one of my earlier engines and, like you, I learned a lot building it.

I replaced the steam chest cover with one made of 1/16" acrylic so the motion of the valve was visible and now use the engine to help young kids understand what's going on in a slide valve steam engine.

To paraphrase the real estate agents, in machining the three most important things are:
setup, setup and setup.

Yes Julian,

You did a nice job on the engine. I like the way you set the parts out to see everything.

Kenny

That is a great looking little engine. I'm going to have to get off my duff and start building something:O)

Wes

good job Julian, that was my first as well, seems like a popular choice!

Julian way to go and what a way to learn. I built lots of tooling...over and over again sometimes before I took on any close tolerance projects. You dove right in with both feet...nice job!

I started my first one almost 2 years ago and just recently got it finished (it's sitting on top of the tv in my shop running happily right now ;D ;D....Today I am starting on my 2nd one..:)))...hooked for life...:)

Julian,
Nice job on a great looking engine. I'm still coming off a very large high from my first sucessful engine run that was 5 weeks ago. May your high last at least that long. Oh, and if it starts to die down, go exhibit it at a show. When folks you don't even know start to take your picture with your engine, the high comes right back. Oh What fun! ;D

Cheers,
Phil

That look really nice. What is the lever on top? I have never built a steam engine just IC. Tom

Tom T said:
That look really nice. What is the lever on top? I have never built a steam engine just IC. Tom

Tom, my money is on a reverser lever. ;D ;D ;D

Course I don't have any so I'm not loosing anything... :eek: :eek:

Julian,

Nice job for a first time engine. I've worked in the machining field for over 30 years and I'm impressed by your first time efforts. Keep up the good work. I've got two Elmer engines in the process. I need to finish one to keep up with you newbies in this hobby. ;)

Regards,
Bernd

Julian: That is one fine engine. I like the looks of it and will definitely add it to my list of engines to build. I have never been brave enough to show my engines at a model engine meet but get a kick showing them to people in my shop.
Good for you!------don

Yes, That is a reversing lever...You guys are way too kind and I appreciate all of the comments and encouragement. I have some other projects to complete(DRO etc) and then I think I will try Elmer's Beam Engine.
I also will do my best to document the build both in photos and video.
Thanks,
Julian G.

I can see I need to drag out the "Elmer" book again. I had forgotten about this interesting design. Very nice job Julian!!

Back