Ergonomics/reference material? (Somewhat OT)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PerryRT

Reaction score
I know this is a little off topic, but since this is a generally good place for information, I thought I would ask...

Can anyone point me to a general reference table/webpage for ergonomic information for building things? Mostly, measurements dealing with spacing and distances.

I'm trying to design some stuff for the shop (I have to have something to do with myself now that they cancelled Jersey Shore :D ), and I can do the carpentry, but the only piece of ergonomic information I can remember is that a standard table top should be 30" from the floor.

Ideally, I'm looking for stuff like:

Height from floor for a keyboard table?

Minimum comfortable distance from eye to computer screen?

Height from floor for a comfortable work bench (standing table)?

Minimum clearance under a table (for legs)?

Minimum clearance between a table edge and a wall for a person sitting in a chair?

I used to have a good book that had a chapter with all that stuff for 5 through 95%-ile adults, but (as per usual) I can't find it when I need it and a basic Google search didn't turn up anything but a lot of books for sale and a few unexplained pictures.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

There's a book called "The Measure of Man" that has, I believe, a lot of that stuff in it. Also there's a book called "Architectural Graphic Standards" that covers a lot of the same stuff. I've heard of the first one, I have used the second. Keep in mind that they are all based on statistical data and if you're really tall or short the counter top heights are not going to be optimal. We are redoing my son's house and he is 6'2" and the sixties counter heights are useless to him. so they are all getting higher by about six inches. Depending on your height and what kind of work you do don't just go by the book. Figure out what's best for you using the book info as a starting point.

I was more looking for a website, but since it's the weekend now, I suppose a trip to the local library will do for me.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back