ER40 for a 40int + flycutter

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grunty

Reaction score
I am in need of a tool holder for my mill as all I have is a Clarkson auto that takes upto a 5/8 dia tool.
I am looking at an ER40 as it has the widest range, upto 25mm.
Being new to this I am wondering about the lack of thread in the collets like the Clarkson has into which the tool screws, is this still ok for threaded tools?
Also are all ER40 collets the same whoever makes them?

Any other suggestions?

Also,
I would like a flycutter or is it called a facing tool, unsure. I thought I had one but it appears to be a boring tool. It worked on an ally block but i couldn't get it to cut on steel. Any suggestions for a suitable tool?

thank you in advance
Alan

not sure what your getting at with the threading ??? ER collets have 2 tappers that clamp and compress the collet to grip the tool, the grip is very strong and yes you can hold End mills with threaded ends just avoid clamping it on on the threads

most boring tools are universal boring and facing ie fly cutting tools it all depends on where you put the tool im guessing thats what you have

all collets are the pretty much the same no matter who makes them the difference is usually in the quality

i hope this could help

New_Guy said:
not sure what your getting at with the threading ??? ER collets have 2 tappers that clamp and compress the collet to grip the tool, the grip is very strong and yes you can hold End mills with threaded ends just avoid clamping it on on the threads
Thats answered my question, the thread I mention is the one on the end of the tool, in the Clarkson this screws into the collet and I thought it may have to in the ER series.

most boring tools are universal boring and facing ie fly cutting tools it all depends on where you put the tool im guessing thats what you have

Ok, I am guessing it must be a grinding issue then, it's a bit tricky on round tool steel :-[

all collets are the pretty much the same no matter who makes them the difference is usually in the quality

i hope this could help
It did thank you

Hi Alan
What size machine are you looking at using the ER40 on?
At my work our mill uses ER32 mainly and we have an ER40 chuck for one operation and it is a very bulky holder compared to the ER32 and the 5/8 clarkson holder.

Byrne

hi
Mill is a Beaver VBRP
Going for the ER40 as I already have some 25mm shank tooling but nothing to hold it with.
Al

Latest posts

Back