Engines for Dummies

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stpjokin1996

Reaction score
I must be crazy! I know absolutely nothing about engines, although I have recently become very interested in them!
I am looking for a very simple engine design, I'm not sure if I care if it is steam, gas or other... I have been looking at car engines, and I think I understand how the engine works. But what happens after the engine does its thing? How does it make the wheels turn?

I am full of questions and am not sure how to go about finding the answers. I did see the post for the book, "Making Simple Model Steam Engine" by Stan Bray. Does anyone have any other suggestions so I don't ramble a sixteen page post of questions?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Stephanie

Welcome to the forum Stephanie!

Are you looking to build engines too?

Keep using the Internet. Read everything you can. There's a lot of stuff out there. I don't have a specific suggestion (my memory isn't what it used to be) but I'm sure a bunch of people will try to help. Keep looking.

And if you think you're going to do a build...keep it simple and grow from there.

Good luck! And tell us your progress!

Yes, Eventually I would like to build an engine, but I want to build a new type of engine. I have the idea in my head, but no knowledge to go with it! Thats why I was looking at the steam engines, they seem to have part of the technology I am looking for. I'm just not sure what other types of engines there are.

Stephanie:

Welcome. There is a wealth of information among the members here. Also on the web. At this site:

www.howstuffworks.com

There is information on all kinds of stuff. They have articles, videos and animations like this one on steam engines:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/steam.htm

Plus there is lots more on specific engines out there on the Internet. This is one of my favorites to understand the various types of engines and how they function:

http://www.animatedengines.com

Hope this helps.

Yes those site definitely help! I have one question left for now. ;D What kind of engines are in lawn mowers?

Thank you so much for all of your help and information!

Okay I lied. One more question, with a steam locomotive engine, how does the locomotive pick up speed if the valve slide is continuously moving at the same speed? (I think it's a the slide valve anyway)

stpjokin1996 said:
Okay I lied. One more question, with a steam locomotive engine, how does the locomotive pick up speed if the valve slide is continuously moving at the same speed? (I think it's a the slide valve anyway)

I'll leave the lawn mower question to other people as I have limitted knowledge on IC engines but will answer your loco question.

The valve slide isn't continuously moving at the same speed. Its opening and closing is contolled by the linkages that are connected to the loco wheels. So as the steam pushes the piston it moves the wheel and this in turn moves the slide valves.
The faster the wheels move the faster the slide valve moves.

Stephanie,

Modern lawn mowers have 4 stroke petrol engines ... same as a car engine but usually just 1 cylinder.

Look at some of the oscillating or wobbler steam engine designs, it's a good starting point and easy to understand.

Going back to your original question, the engine in a car is connected to a gear box via a friction clutch (lets you disengage the drive from the engine to change gear then re-engage). The drive is then transmitted through a differential to the drive shafts which have the wheels on them. (this allows the wheels to rotate at different speeds when going around a corner ... when going around a left hand bend for example, the left wheel will be rotating more slowly because it's going around an arc of a smaller radius than the right hand wheel!)

Nick

stepphanie:
Welcome. there are many engine prints out there suitable for a beginer.
the Mccabe runner is good look here.
http://npmccabe.tripod.com/steam.htm
another simple oscillator is

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/Projects/OscillatingEngine.php
some real basics here.
http://www.animatedengines.com/index.shtml

And lots of reading here
you will have to search a bit but lots of good stuff on machining and engines.
http://www.archive.org/index.php
Where are you attending an engine show or Model engineering show can be very informative.
Tin

NickG said:
Stephanie,

Modern lawn mowers have 4 stroke petrol engines ... same as a car engine but usually just 1 cylinder.

Look at some of the oscillating or wobbler steam engine designs, it's a good starting point and easy to understand.

Going back to your original question, the engine in a car is connected to a gear box via a friction clutch (lets you disengage the drive from the engine to change gear then re-engage). The drive is then transmitted through a differential to the drive shafts which have the wheels on them. (this allows the wheels to rotate at different speeds when going around a corner ... when going around a left hand bend for example, the left wheel will be rotating more slowly because it's going around an arc of a smaller radius than the right hand wheel!)

Nick

Okay, so I know the engine goes by combustion, how does that energy transfer all the way to the wheels? Gears? Electricity? Gum?

Steph,

The power from the engine is transmitted to the wheels by a gearbox, (because at low rpm an IC engine has low torque), and then a differential, which allows for one wheel to slow down/speed up when cornering, (each drive wheel is on a different radius so for the vehicle to stay in one piece on wheel has to travel further than the other).

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
Bob

I very simplified view of this is the bicycle. On a bicycle you are the power source (ie. engine), The petals are the link from the engine (you) to the drive train, and the chain and sprockets are the transmission that drives the wheel.

In a standard automotive transmission the engine is linked to the transmission by a friction disc between two metal plates. In an automatic transmission the engine is linked to the transmission by fluid in a torque converter. There is a lot more to a modern automatic transmission than the standard (aka stick shift) transmission. In an old style go-kart clutch centrifgul force is used to make the shoes lock against the drum which drives a sprocked which in turn drives a chain that drives another sprocket that is attached to the drive wheel.

Go to the site, How Stuff Works, and type in internal combustion engine or automobile engine. Along with this you can type in transmission or automatic transmission. There is a wealth of information on that site along with animated clips.
gbritnell

Stephanie:
There are actually many ways of transmitting the energy from the engine to the wheels.
Mechanical
gears
pulleys and belt
chain and sprocket
gears and shafting
etc
Electrical
the engine drives a generator the wheels are driven by electric motors
common application diesel electric locomotive

Hydraulic
motor/engine drives a hydraulic pump the wheels are driven by hydraulic motors.
I have seen this done not sure of a common application.
In a model a piece of silicone hose can be used to transfer energy from an engine to say a prop shaft.
Engineering can be as complex or simple as one makes it depending on the needs and application.
Tin

I have a plan in my head. (scary I know) How do I make what I need? I don't think I will find what I am looking for on line, I'm not even sure there is one still in existence. (Ultimately I want a model 735 Stanley) Can I make these parts on my own? What is the best way to proceed? As a side note, I'm not rich (yet), and I do not have any tools except a saw, drill, and soldering iron.

Suggestions?

Thank you!

Stephanie

Here's another one that requires only hand tools

here

Cheers. Joe

Stephanie:

I have a plan in my head.

First of all we need to get that plan out of your head and in a format the rest of us can understand.
There is a good drawing program that allows one to sketch in 3-D called alibre CAD. This program will allow you make parts on the computer then assemble the parts. The license for this program was almost a thousand bucks but they have been running a special for the last month or so you can get a license for $99. Myself and several other members of the board took advantage of this deal it is only on for two more days. So if interested act now. What the price is next week I do not know.
This will not give animation of an assembly but will give a 3-D computer model and will make construction drawings.
http://www.alibre.com/

How do I make what I need?

What do you need? We need to break this down to specifics.

(Ultimately I want a model 735 Stanley)

Now we have some direction but a monumental task. Probably a 10 year project.

Can I make these parts on my own?

With the proper tools or often improvised ones and the skills to use them people can make anything from a gold ring to a Boeing 747 scace shuttle ocean liner.... .What you make is up to you !!

To build something like a car either full sized or a model you will likely in time need to assemble a machine shop need a welder and need the skills to operate all the needed tools.

First of all if you could give us a brief intro bio of yourself in the welcome section that would help us help you are you an engineering student ? Where do you live we are not looking for address but if we had some Idea of city state country.

probably start by getting your Ideas on paper/in the computer in the mean time build a simple steam engine with hand tools.

Tin

Latest posts

Back