Emu Stories

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwcnc1911

-jwcnc191
Reaction score
Tea Tree Oil is a fantastic balm, another one that we've found extremely good for irritations and dermatitis/eczema (damn that's a stupid word!) type rashes is Emu Oil. Works a treat.

cheers, Ian

I don't know why... this is cracking me up! We sold Emu oil at a pharmacy I worked at. The guy who owned the farm brought the product in himself. Emus were all the rage for a few years back in the early to mid 90's here in the US. People were calling them the solution to everything, even world hunger! You could even get emu burgers at the local ball field. Then the bottom just fell out, no demand at all. It was so bad, that around my area farmers were just letting their birds go. Which brings me to what's cracking me up... my first experience, well, personal one on one experience, with an emu. Imagine your 19 years old, never seen an emu, happily headed off to trade school in your brand new 1999 Chevrolet S10... all of the sudden a bigass pterodactyl comes running out in front of you from a bush...

Yeah, that was my first official introduction to emus. Almost wrecked. I still smile at thinking of that.

Imagine your 19 years old, never seen an emu, happily headed off to trade school in your brand new 1999 Chevrolet S10... all of the sudden a bigass pterodactyl comes running out in front of you from a bush...

Yeah, that was my first official introduction to emus. Almost wrecked. I still smile at thinking of that.

They are quite a fearsome bird, and they don't mind having a go at anyone nearby! But I will say the oil is brilliant for most skin conditions, if it doesn't fix it, it'll alleviate it. I have problems with dermatitis in my ears from extended periods spent wearing silicon ear plugs (silicon plugs are CRAP IMHO) when working at a mill, the creams never really do much or help for long, but emu oil makes a massive difference and loads faster than the chemists stuff.

Actually, another really good thing we do at our home, is grow aloe vera plants down the side of the house, for a nasty cut or burn just snap a bit off and rub the gell on, it's instant relief and forms a barrier. I also make a drink with it but that's another story.

cheers, Ian

I don't know why... this is cracking me up! .

Hmm, I seem to remember my brother once invented a new sport. It involved a ute (pickup in some parts of the world) travelling along a dirt road, a fence line parallel to the road very close to the passenger door, an emu and a .270 Winchester... They are very erratic animals and can do a bit of damage to a vehicle but this one didn't.

I once went behind a sandhill a little to the south of Tennant Creek, in the Northern Territory, to attend the call of nature. While I was squatting, a small noise behind me made me turn my head. There was an emu, head down, staring up my nether-regions. I don't know which of us got the bigger fright ... me, or the emu when I shouted "Bloody Hell!" and jumped into the air. We both took off in different directions :)

I once went behind a sandhill a little to the south of Tennant Creek, in the Northern Territory, to attend the call of nature. While I was squatting, a small noise behind me made me turn my head. There was an emu, head down, staring up my nether-regions. I don't know which of us got the bigger fright ... me, or the emu when I shouted "Bloody Hell!" and jumped into the air. We both took off in different directions :)

Am glad the Emu did not get "you". Was hand feeding them and they sure peck hard.

Am glad the Emu did not get "you". Was hand feeding them and they sure peck hard.

I was chased by an emu while I was on a motor bike mustering sheep. I am glad he gave up because he could have easily outrun the old bomb I was on. Looking over my shoulder was like looking down a rifle barrel with his beak snapping right behind my backside. Moral of the story, do not disturb male emu when he is sitting on a nest of eggs! :fan:

Sorry guys this cracked me up I went from reading about peoples choices for tooling etc to Old man Emu stories Rof}

All I can say is your all lucky, you forgot to mention those claws

Heres looking at you

images

I moved the Emu from the tool box to here.
Tin

I lived in New York City all my life. Wild-life here means squirrels, and, filthy pigeons.

But....we do have plenty of feral, sub-human animals.

Frank

Had an offroad caravan for a number of years, we went camping in the bush a lot, woke up one morning to find an emu peering in the window. I suppose that it was just inquisitive, they are large and can be intimidating up close.

Paul.

Last edited:
Even I, a good old Canadian boy, have an Emu story. About 20 years ago I took an engineering job in Peterborough, Ontario, and bought a house on the outskirts of the city. The fellow who lived beside me was raising Emus, intending to sell the meat, etcetera, etcetera. Now my old mom who is turning 93 in three weeks came down from Bancroft for a visit. She wanted to go for a walk around my property and have a look at the back yard and see where my property line was. I told her, "Now Mom, I just want to tell you so you won't be alarmed, but the guy beside me is raising chickens in his back yard." My mother responded indignantly ---"Good Lord son, I may be an old woman, but I've never seen a damn chicken that would ALARM me!!!"---"But Mom", I said, these are Peterborough Chickens, and they're a bit different."---Well sir, that was enough chicken talk for my mother---we headed out for the back yard. Now you have to picture this---My mother is a short, stout little woman (not unlike her son). The emu pen had a solid wood fence part way along my side yard, and then just turned to plain old chicken wire farther back. My mother had just asked "So what's so different about a Peterborough Chicken, when we walked past the end of the wooden fence, and there were about 8 emus, all staring down at my mother. You could have heard her shriek over in the next county!! She still laughs about it if I happen to mention "Peterborough Chickens"!!!!----Brian.

My uncle took a fling at raising EMUs in Mississippi. He said they are truly the dumbest animal he ever raised.

One of the EMUs put his head into the gap between the gate and gate post looking for something to eat. Something scared it and it immediately ran backwards and raised it's head at the same time. The EMU's head was caught since the gap narrowed as it went up, and pulling backwards the poor thing broke it's own neck.

"G"

Hey all,
I didn't know that Emus were such good comedians, they had me laughing so hard I was crying!
Art

Latest posts

Back