Elmer's Standby

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebush

Reaction score
Finished building my first engine Saturday evening, the shop was getting hot and I was tired, so I decided to wait till this morning to see if it would run. I kept thinking the brass tube to hook up the air line just wasn't that strong. So Sunday morning I milled up a support block and installed it. Got the airlines all hooked up the air pressure turned down to about 10lbs. flipped the flywheel and the little Standby just putted along runs great at all speeds. Now for my two dilemas.
1- I have no idea how to post pictures. I've taken pictures and Kim has them in a folder. I can e-mail them from the house e-mail to anyone that could post them for me, if that possible.
2- How to explain to Kim the 3900lb lathe that made the parts for an engine that weighs ounces. She was impressed with the engine, but looks at the lathe and mill and just shakes her head and walks back to the house. Roger

the preferred way to post pictures upload them to a hosting site like picasa photobucket etc. then post a img link. there are a few threads around here explaining this. another way is to attache a photo to your thread much like attaching to an e-mail .

Make her something like candlesticks for the dinning room table then she will understand the lathe better.
Tin

Congratulations on the finished running engine. With Tin's advice on posting pics, we'll look forward to seeing it as well!!

Bill

Thanks guys will try to post pictures on Tuesday. I have a feeling that posting pictures may take me longer than building the engine. I've read the threads on posting pictures but unfortunately I'm not computer suave enough to understand them. If I can build a engine I'll figure out how to post pictures. Roger

This is how I post my pictures here.
1. Click on Additional Options
2. Click on Browse
3. Click on (more attachments) if needed

Then Post.

Hope this helps. :)

posting a picture.jpg

ausdier: Thanks for the help. I was able to attach photos with your method now the problem is it's telling me the files to large. I was trying to send one picture, how would I make the file smaller? Roger

Hi Roger, not real sure how you could make the file smaller.
I suppose it is how you save the file to start with.
Or with some sort of photo/picture editing program.
I just use ACDsee.

Saying that, you can always open the file using " windows paint "
Then press Ctrl + A to select all the picture and then go into "image" and resize it there.

Sorry I can't help any more.

RESIZE PICTURES.jpg

Hi Roger

another easy way to do it is to email the picture to yourself and accept the resize option. When it arrives, save the emailed file attachment (your picture) to the desktop or a folder of your choice.

Cheers Les

Well guys with the help from all of you and a friend who's a heck of alot better with computers than me here's my Elmer's Standby. Roger

hmem.jpg

Hi Roger, Congratulations on a very sucessful 1st engine build, Equally impressive is getting your pics posted, Im envious!!!!! Keep up the good work. Gary

Congratulations!
You might tell her how much a round of golf costs, or why does it take 2 machines weighing a couple of hundred pounds to wash and dry a pair of socks weighing ounces, or, I suspect you shouldn't say anything. She probably secretly enjoys your having fun making things. Remember, they are from Venus.
Enjoy it.

Roger, congrats on your first engine. Still working on my first one.

2- How to explain to Kim the 3900lb lathe that made the parts for an engine that weighs ounces. She was impressed with the engine, but looks at the lathe and mill and just shakes her head and walks back to the house. Roger

I suppose women are more practical then man. If they do not find a use for something than I guess it's just a toy. What I did when I started out was to make something that she could use. She is into lace making and many wooden bobbins are used to hold the thread. I lashed up a machine so that she could fill her bobbins with it.

Vince

vcutajar: WOW you're first engine is the Kiwi MK2. I've been following you're build posts. Very impressive. I've learned alot watching you're project. Thanks.

Gary and Mosey: Thanks

Lesmo and ausdier: Without your help the picture would not have been posted. Thanks. Roger

So glad we could help.
Thats what places like this are really for, to help out each other however we all can. :)

Latest posts

Back