Elmer's Mill Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave,
Very nice. Has inspired me to take the Mill Engine on. Was wondering how you got the 1-1/4" radius on the "base" piece slot? Slitting or slotting cutter?
I'm trying to figure the best way without spending a whole lot of money on cutters (but will to $pend $ome).

Thanks

Jim

Beautiful engine and video. The slow speed is a sure sign of a precision build. Congrats on the nomination too...well deserved!!!

Bill

Thank you again to everyone for the kind words.

Jim, I'm thrilled that my work could inspire someone else to tackle Elmer's engine.

Regarding the base, I used a 2-1/2" slitting saw, which gave the correct radius. I cut a slit, moved it over by a sawblade width, cut again, moved again, etc.

If I didn't already own the slitting saw, I think I would have made a simple single-edge cutter (similar to a fly cutter).

Dave

dave e said:
Regarding the base, I used a 2-1/2" slitting saw, which gave the correct radius. I cut a slit, moved it over by a sawblade width, cut again, moved again, etc.

If I didn't already own the slitting saw, I think I would have made a simple single-edge cutter (similar to a fly cutter).

Thanks for the info, Dave. Hope to get as clean of lines has your model has.

Jim

Hi Dave,
Been working on my version of the "#33 Mill Engine" and I'm getting some of the hardware together, i.e. nuts and bolts.
Was wondering where you got the bolts for the "steam chest" and the nuts on top of the crosshead guide?
I purchased some 2-56 hex bolts but I'm not really impressed with them and the ones in your video appear to be superior.
Also I like the (tall) look of the nuts on the guide. Did they come from the same place?

Progress has been slow but it is beginning to resemble an engine.

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

Sorry about the slow reply. I've been working a ton and haven't had much time to keep up with the forum.

Anyway, I bought all the fasteners from Cole's (www.colespowermodels.com). They have all the odd sizes, like 3-48 and 5-40. I bought some 2-56 nuts from another source that were cheaper, but as soon as I received them I realized I would be placing another order with Coles. Nice people too. (Inspite of what it may sound like, I'm just a happy customer. I'm not getting any kickbacks or anything. ;))

And keep after the engine. It'll come together before you know it.

Dave

Thanks, Dave

Cole's is a interesting site. Can see myself spending a few bucks there.

Jim

Latest posts

Back