Elmer's Mill Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave e

Reaction score
Hi guys,

It's taken a long time to get here, but I guess it's all about the journey. Anyway, I've finally completed phase 1 on my rendition of Elmer's Mill Engine ... namely, make it run. Phase 2 will be to make it pretty, but that's for another video.

This is my third engine. My goal was to make it run with a tiny amount of air pressure and get it to run as slowly as possible. For most of the video I'm running it on about 1-1/2 psi. At that pressure it runs at about 100 rpm. I think with a little more running, it will go even slower.

Anyway, enjoy.

[youtube=425,350]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cR5pmZ1zWwY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cR5pmZ1zWwY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

-- Dave

Dave,

And a sweet little engine it is indeed. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Very nice engine Dave. Thm:

Excellent job on the engine Dave but I don't understand one thing, make it pretty! It looks pretty darn good to me as it is.
gbritnell

Nice engine Dave. Thanks for the video. :bow: :bow: :bow: I'm with GBritnell - looks good now

Cheers,
Phil

There is just something enchanting about a slowly moving engine, it just seems to mesmerize a person. The long lines of that type of mill engine are just so proportionate and they reflect a more elegant form of locomotion. Speed? Naw, "you don't need no stinking speed." That just makes these engines look so silly. Nice and slow at a leisurely tick over, that's the ticket. Very nice job Phil, you can be proud and thank you for sharing such a pleasing video with us. Did you do a picture log of this build? I would certainly be interested in viewing it if you did.

BC1

Really nice build, Dave. Nice video, too. Did you follow Elmer's dimensions exactly?

Chuck

Beautiful job Dave. Most impressive :bow:
Ernie J

Very nice!!! And excellent video work. A great production. :bow:

WOW really cool me like's. i too like te way it runs slow.

REALLY REAlLY Cool :bow: :bow:

If nobody's nominated this for engine of the month, I would like to do that right now!

Regards, Arnold

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words. To answer a couple questions...

No, I didn't do a build log. Perhaps next time.

Regarding dimensions, I stuck pretty close to Elmer's dimensions. I only had to adjust a couple things to work with the raw materials I had on hand.

-- Dave

Great Job! I just started my own and hope it turns out as well as yours.

I second the nomination for Engine of the month.​

Nice job on the engine and a great job on the video! Thanks for sharing it with us. I think your in line for engine of the month.
Mel

Great job !! Great video - love the slow shots, agreed, can be mesmerizing !! :)

I've got a number of engines I want to build. Now will have to revisit this one since I've got Elmer's book :D

Mike

great job ! Thm:
I have Elmers book, but never built one

Let me add my name to the list of "People Properly Impressed" :bow: :bow:

Nice engine, nice show. Can't imagine it any prettier.

Jerry

Dave,
Very nice engine. Also super job on the video.
Dennis

Latest posts

Back