Electromagnetic Rocker Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4156df

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Technically this “engine” may be a motor and so is not entirely appropriate to this site. Here goes anyway.

The engine can best be described as an electromagnetic rocker. It is loosely based on early (circa 1860) models of devices developed during the transition from steam power to electrical power.

The engine base is 4 in. x 2.5 in. and the flywheel is 2.5 inches in diameter. Each coil is wound on a 5/16” core with 300 turns of 22 AWG magnet wire.

P1030125.jpg

P1030114.jpg

P1030130.jpg

P1030128.jpg

In the following video, the motor is running on a 6V lantern battery. Speed is about 340 rpm.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQkI2UcCeK8[/ame][youtube=425,350]

It’s a good runner, but contact pressure and timing are really touchy. If I were building it again, I’d figure out a more precise method of adjusting the contact position and pressure. Also, I’d make it a double contact so it would have reverse.

As far as the build goes, there’s really nothing too unique. However, a few things that might be of interest are:

Flywheel
Flywheel construction followed Bogstandard’s treatise found elsewhere on this site. When it came to bling though, instead of painting or polishing the spokes, they were beadblasted. I used a little hobby air eraser I got at a swap meet. I like the texture and it contrasts nicely with the polished rim (photo is pre-polish).

P1020923.jpg

Upright
The upright was my first shot at free-form brass turning. I started with a piece of brass hex. First I cut the major diameter and then used the parting tool to cut the minor diameter of the curves.

P1020601.jpg

Then I moved to the wood lathe and shaped the curves using HSS wood turning tools. The lathe was run at slow speed (500 rpm in my case) and I made very light cuts. It worked pretty well and I wouldn’t be afraid to try a more complex shape. The key is keeping a negative rake.

P1020608.jpg

Pushrod
The pushrod was fabricated as shown in the following photos. The part was first turned as a cylinder and the ends rounded with a file.

P1020574.jpg

A very minor tip…When I filed the lower round, I slipped a piece of tubing over the small shaft to protect it from the file.

P1020573.jpg

The flats were milled using soft jaws in my mill vise. Did one side, then flipped it over.

P1020581.jpg

Cut out the center,

P1020590.jpg

and, voila!

P1020594.jpg

Terminal Screws
I wasn’t up to attempting single-point 4-40 threads so the terminal screws were made as an assembly. The screw head was turned, tapped, knurled and parted off.

P1030092.jpg

Then I screwed it on a 4-40 screw, soldered it and faced it off.

P1030101_edited-1.jpg

This is an overly long post, so thanks for bearing with me. More importantly, thank you all for sharing your knowlege with us. This site is fabulous. I’m happy to answer any questions you may have.

Regards,
Dennis

stevehuckss396 said:
What would be inappropriate is not sharing pictures of work this nice.

Thanks!

Steve

Well said Steve.

I agree.

Eric

Nice looking engine. Very nice build.

Chuck

Great Motor, :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

4156df said:
Technically this “engine” may be a motor and so is not entirely appropriate to this site.

Dennis, if this engine is inappropriate for this site then I'm in deep doodoo. Most of my recent sketches of been for electric engines instead of compressed gas (air, steam, etc) or IC because they're fun and can be even more completely off the wall than usual. Well, usual for me.

Okay, guys, I hear you clamoring to see one! I may be able to accomodate fairly soon!

Anyway, this one looks like one I saw in a very early book I downloaded from google books and thought particularly interesting. Your execution is absolutely beautiful and we (well, I) hope to see more like this in the future.

There was another one that used a series of bar magnets in an armature of sorts from about the same era. I kind of remember how it worked but I also remember it had a real problem starting under certain circumstances. I figured out a cure but never did anything with it.

Keep up the excellent work!

BEst regards,

Kludge

BobWarfield said:
Very Jules Verne/Steam Punk!

I avoided mentioning that ... but you know it's a favored style, right? :D

Best regards,

Kludge

Nice work. That free form turning looks scary to me but the finished pieces are great!

Hi Dennis
How could there be any doubt that this would fit in here, The name of this site is Home Model Engine Machinist.

This beauty qualifies on all counts, An excellent piece of work, we like to see lots of pictures and build stories. Couldn't get nearer the mark than this.
Thank you for sharing.

Kind regards

Malcolm

Guys,

Thanks for the compliments. You've made my day.

BW....Great comment about the Jules Verne/Steam Punk look. I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're right.

Rich...Believe me, I looked at your post many times before I started this. I should have credited you for the inspiration.

While I'm at it...Thanks for the cfellows "Coil Calculation Table" in the downloads section. It really helped me nail down the coil configuration. Also, thanks to Marv for his flywheel calculation program.

Dennis

Dennis,

Can you go into a little more detail on how you beadblasted the flywheel? I like that finish.

Chuck

One other question. Are the coils energized twice per full revolution or just once? Looks like it would work to energize it on each side of dead center so you get two power pulses per rev. Or maybe you're already doing that, can't tell from the pictures or the video.

Chuck

Chuck,
I beadblasted using a Badger Hobby Abrasive Gun Model 260. I found mine at a garage sale, but they're available on line for less than $30. The blaster comes with an aerosol propellant, but I hooked mine to the air compressor at 30 psi. It also comes with aluminum oxide media, but I happened to have some glass bead media, so that's what I used. Blasting was done way, way out on the end of my driveway and I used a carboard box as a cabinet. It's messy, but you're not blasting long. Just stay far away from your machines.

I had planned to paint the spokes so the flywheel had been masked using blue masking tape when I decided to try the beadblast. The tape seemed to be a good maskant for the beadblasting and makes me think there may be some neat applications where designs could be masked over polished brass....(stop me, please!). Before blasting, I filed/sanded off gross tooling marks and relieved sharp edges. I'm guessing it was about a 220 grit surface. It hardly took any time at all to get to a matte surface.

P1030158.jpg

Regarding the coils...yes, they're energized twice in a full revolution by a two lobed cam. One power pulse is less effective though, because the push point is lower down on the push rod lever. I guess this is would be considered a "double-acting" engine.

Regards,
Dennis

4156df said:
Chuck,
I beadblasted using a Badger Hobby Abrasive Gun Model 260. I found mine at a garage sale, but they're available on line for less than $30. The blaster comes with an aerosol propellant, but I hooked mine to the air compressor at 30 psi. It also comes with aluminum oxide media, but I happened to have some glass bead media, so that's what I used.......

Dennis,

Can you capture and re-use the glass bead media?

Chuck

Chuck,

Yes, the glass bead media can be captured and reused. I didn't in this case because it was such a small job. At 30 psi, I suspect the beads will last quite awhile. I've used beads in the past in an industrial recirculating sand blast cabinet. When they turn dusty & powdery they need to be replaced.

Dennis

Latest posts

Back