Electrolytical Engraving

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldstar31

Reaction score
Can anyone point to an old post on how to mark metal with salt or iron sulphate solution, please?

I simply want to mark my hss lathe tools with the angles which I have or will grind.
I'm simply recovering cheap or free old scrap lathe tools from various sources

Thank You

Norm

I have an "etch-o-matic" etcher. I use salt and viniger or just plain salt water to etch with it often times.
using a/c current you get a darker etch but not as deep using dc current I get a much deeper cut. the electro etch comes with a rectifier diode that you clip on your alligator clip to make the change. works great, I have also used a qtip soaked in salt vinegar with a battery car charger with the same results. 10 amp was where mine really would sizzle and do a good job. my electro etch kit came with photo stencil which is basicly silk screen coated with a film that you develop under a grow lamp just like if you were photo etching a circuit board (which I do from time to time" www.etch-o-matic.com they are much cheaper on ebay used and there isn't much to them. if you find one without the rectifier diode, you can pick one up at radio shack cheap

Reactions: cmc
for stencils you can use electric tape, finger nail polish etc. if you have a vinyl cutter from the Walmart you can get really fancy easy.

here is a bad example of one of my etches on my first machinist clamp I made
upload_2018-7-10_12-1-48.png

Thank you for clearing away the mists of time. It was QTips that triggered the fading memory.

Again, I have quite a quantity of iron/ferrous sulphate which wasn't used on my moss/lawn/grass or that brown stuff as England has got a summer for once.

Again, thank you

Norman

Frazer, great and accept my thanks.

I think that I'm making some progress as the hot weather does help.
However, it is a So And So with eyesight problems though the DVLA have given me my driving licence back.
It means that I can go shopping -w hen I want

Cheers and Thanks

N

Latest posts

Back