Electric Die Grinder ???

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
My air compressor in the garage, and the model shop in the
basement. Add to that issue, my compressor isn't big enough to keep
up to a burr gun of die grinder for more than a few minutes....

I'm looking for an electric die grinder that will accept 1/4" shank tools.
All I'm seeing are $40 units with the words "replacement brushed included" :shock:
or $200 models made by Milwaukee.
Has anyone had and success with one in the past?

Rick

I had one of the cheap models a few years back, and all it really accomplished was thrashing the brushes. It never really performed like I felt it should have. In fact, it did two projects before it was retired; the first and last. It received a proper burial in the local landfill quite a while back.

As for the Milwaukee, it is probably a much better unit. But, for the price tag, one could throw a little more with it and buy a compressor which would give more options in the shop.

One of the lessons I have learned over the years is to not take the cheap road on buying tools that a) need to be reliable, b) are for precision measuring, c) are used to make a living with, d) are power tools, e) will be used often. I, myself, would rather spend twice the amount to have a quality tool than to buy three of the cheap versions that will all end up in the trash before a good one is even broke in.

We (well, at least I) are not in the production environment, and everyone has their opinions, but mine is that there is a balance between "a good value" and "cheap". 'Overpriced" is certainly out there as well, but procurement of good equipment will take more money than cheap equipment will. Ya get what ya pay for!

If one takes a Pinto and tries to get it to perform like Corvette, one will be disappointed every time. This is my$.02 worth!

Latest posts

Back